On Target For Growth Or Overweight?

krystab

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
hi everyone! Exactly one month ago I adopted a new kitten - now named Dexter Jackson. He was abandoned in a cardboard box in a backlane and, luckily, taken to the shelter by a lady and her daughter. Due to his beginnings they were not quite sure about his age and made a guess of about 8 weeks. He has been given a Birthday of July 9th which will make him about 14 weeks tomorrow.

When I got him he was a pretty skinny kitten weighing in at around 3 pounds on Sept 24. He was in to see my regular vet for a URI. She thought his age was pretty close.

He was just back at the vet on Thursday for a vaccination. His adult teeth are coming in (yea teething) so that also jives with the 3.5 to 4 month age guess and when she weighed him he was 5.2 lbs!. So he gained slightly more than 2 pounds in about 2 1/2 weeks... is that too much? The vet now thinks he’s overweight and suggested reducing his food. I have a problem with that - he’s a growing, rambunctious kitten he needs to eat as much as he wants in my thought process. He’s a very good eater and currently gets wet food 3 times per day (about 2/3 of a 156g can) at each feeding plus he finishes any wet food his 13 year old brother doesn’t eat. I also leave dry food for him and my senior cat overnight and during the day when I’m at work.

Dex does have a bit of a mush belly but can a 14 week old kitten really be overweight and require calorie restrictions? I think he’s due for a growth spurt so he should eat as much as he wants... thoughts?? My instinct is to feed him as much as he wants until he gets neutered in December and then start monitoring a bit closer to ensure he stays a healthy weight.

Any thoughts or suggestions appreciated

duckpond

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I dont think a kitten that age can be overweight. I would give him all the food he wants. He needs the nutrition for growth and development. I have seen with my kittens, and even my son when he was a child, they chunk up a bit, then grow like crazy and get thin again :rolleyes:

Feed the kitten :heartshape:

FunnyFaceFamily

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I agree, no need for a diet yet. Keep an eye on his weight gain and growth. You will know if something isn't right. As long as he is eating plenty of wet good and only supplemented with dry i really wouldn't worry. If you wanted, you could feed tge dry food in treat balls or a special bowl that they have to work at to get to the biscuits to prevent him from eating too much too quickly and stop him from getting bored whilst you are out.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

krystab

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
So it sounds like I’m doing the right thing and ignoring the vets dieting suggestions.

Dexter gets mainly wet food and seems to prefer it. I am going to keep feeding him as much as he wants until he’s neutered in December. I do a weigh-in every week so I can keep track of his trends and if I see a rapid weight gain then I might be concerned. What would be a typical weekly weight gain for a 14 week old kitten??

The small amount of dry food really goes out for Casey (13yo) who would crawl across broken glass with 4 mangled legs for “scoop” as it’s called around here. I probably only give them less than half a cup of dry per day in total but if Casey doesn’t get his scoop there will be hell to pay :devilish: I wish I could convert him to all wet food but his stubbornness is much greater than my resolve/patience

weebeasties

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
What would be a typical weekly weight gain for a 14 week old kitten??
I think the average weight gain is 1 pound per month but I think it depends on the kitten. At six months our Buddy weighed in at 9 pounds and according to our vet not fat at all, just BIG. He apparently has some big breed in his ancestry so he isn't following the typical weight/growth charts.
Also your little Dexter had a rough start before you got him, being skinny and ill, so perhaps now that you are giving him good nutrition and he is healthy, his body is trying playing to play catch up.:)

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I wish I could convert him to all wet food but his stubbornness is much greater than my resolve/patience
My big fella gets his kibble as well - I think that as long as wet is 2/3 to 3/4 of the daily consumption we're ok :)

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
What a sweetie!!
Yea, you're definitely correct to be feeding as much as your baby wants and needs :)