On / Off Diarrhoea / Soft Stools

mmin

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I'm really not too sure what's the issue. He hasn't had this before, but in the past month or so, he's been having a few bouts of diarrhoea / soft stools. I've kept a log, so i will paste it here.

Friday 12th July: Diarrhoea in litter box (1 liquid clump)

Given half teaspoon of goat milk yoghurt
Liquid diarrhea -> soft stools
Soft stools -> Normal poop by Tuesday

Sunday 4th August: Diarrhoea in litter box (Few clumps) over 1 night.
Given Digesticare probiotic for the first time (also given on Monday, and Tuesday)
No more diarrhea – back to normal poop on Monday 5th august night.

Wednesday 7th August : Vomited a little bit (mostly food) during eating
Keen to continue eating
Still playful and active
No diarrhoea

Monday 19th August: Soft stools, scooting + some stool right outside litter box

I'm not too sure what's wrong. There's no change in food, and nothing new has been introduced, except the digesticare probiotic on the 4th august. And his diarrhoea/ soft stools always only last a day or two, and goes away, but then it came back again 2 weeks later. Could this be an allergy or infection or? But if it's an allergy / infection, wouldn't it be continuous? Why would there be a 2 week break in between?

He's going to the vets for his yearly vaccine in a week's time, so i will be sure to ask the vet, but in the meantime, i just thought it would be good to get some ideas..

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

mmin

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
i just did some research and i'm really worried it could be ibd/ibs? Would appreciate if someone could offer some advice :(

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
If your cat goes outdoors, it could be something he occasionally gets into that affects his digestive tract.

The butt scooting could be nothing more than him wanting to get some of the loose stool off of his behind & fur. That might also be the reason you found poop outside the box.

I would get a stool sample and take it to the vet ahead of your appointment, and ask them to run a full fecal PCR test on it so they can look for not only parasites but bacteria as well. If you do this before the visit, you will then be able to discuss with the vet anything that they might have found during testing. The stool sample can be collected right from the litter, bagged, and refrigerated if need be for up to 24 hours - giving you some time to drop it off at the vet's. Just call them to make sure they will accept a stool sample this way, most vets do.

verna davies

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
One of mine had a very similar problem, started when he was 18 months. Diarrhoea for a day or so, fine for a month, diarrhoea for a day or so, fine for 5 weeks, diarrhoea again. Had all tests done, fecal, blood, B12, all negative. Vet suggested it could be IBS. Started food trials and the first thing I removed was all chicken. That was 20 months ago and he has been fine since. I would look at the ingredients in the food you feed, it could well be something that he is allergic to. Keep a diary.