Omega Paw Roll n Clean litter box

sherry526

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Has anyone tried this? Sorry if I'm posting a subject already covered. Here is a link from Petco:

http://www.petco.com/product/2611/Om...:referralID=NA

It has high ratings on the google shopping site. I'd like to get the self cleaning litter box but they are sooo expensive, something like $199 for the LitterMaid box. Then I saw this Omega Paw Roll 'n Clean box for around $28, more my price range.

Let me know if you have it, or have any of the self cleaning type litter boxes.
Thanks!

ummm

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Yes I really like it! I got the big size (just a few dollars more). I have 2 cats and both of them use it fine.

For a few days I scooped the "normal" way when we got the 2nd cat (in a separate room). Boy it was sooo much harder!

This is really fast! Sometimes you may have to tap the bottom when it's upside down as some litter may stick, or I'd need to use the scoop to "loosen" it if it stuck on too well... but it's a life-saver! I told my husband he has to clean the litter box before we got cats (he's the one who wants cats, as I didn't grow up with pets...) but now 99% I'm cleaning it since it was so easy!

You must use clumping litter though.

I got it on amazon - $34 or so with free shipping.

Watch the videos on youtube on how to do it properly. It's super easy.

I recommended it to a friend and she really likes it too!

dragulescugirl

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I agree with Ummm!

I also got a large size. It makes scooping so much easier that even my husband does it. My only tip is to tilt it slightly to the left when finished. Otherwise litter will sort of sit all in one side.

otto

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I dunno, it looks gross to me. All that dust and bacteria left on the ceiling of the box every time you roll it. The stink inside must be wicked.

I don't like covered boxes in general (because they hold in odor) and I won't use clumping litter.

But I thought I would comment my perception of this box, something else for people thinking of using it to consider.

And for those of you who use it, please feel free to comment on my comments.

ummm

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
If you use good clumping litter (we use World's Best Cat Litter), nothing sticks to the ceiling when you roll.

The only time it smells is when the poop is still fresh, but just because the cats don't always bury the poop for whatever reason.

I usually clean the box after I feed them in the morning, and leave home about half hour after that. Sometimes they go in that 30min gap and I don't necessarily have time to clean again before I go and it might smell then if it's not buried (though not everyday... just that every so often they have stinky poop for some reasons). But by the time I get home, when the poop is dried, it doesn't smell anymore.

It is one of my best cat purchase and I don't regret having it! If we have to go back scooping the normal way, I think my husband would have to take over that job lol (hey he's the one who wants cats in the first place so it's only fair

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

sherry526

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I called our local Petcos, but they don't have the box in stock so I am going to order online.

Ummm, you answered my other question, which was about getting a good clumping litter that doesn't get real powdery when you pour it.

If I don't see a thread on the clumping litter, I may start one. I haven't used that type litter in 10 years because of the powdering problem. So, I see what you mean, otto, not just when rolling the box, but pouring the litter into the box--the powdering issue was a problem with me. If there are litter types that don't powder up so badly, then I'm okay with it.

I believe I will order the large size box - I don't think the small ones will do. Thank you everyone for the info and opinions! Helps me big time. I don't always trust the reviews on store sites. I always wonder if the store made them up when each post says the product is wonderful.

ummm

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
find some youtube videos on this litter box on how to use it properly. i think the company has one on their website too to show you how it works. the box comes with instruction also. you roll it upside down, then right side up, then tilt to the left.

there are people who don't like WBCL, but so far I'm fine with it. The first time I used it I had a 7lb bag, and when I poured it in it did get a little dusty. But now we buy the 34lb bag, and I just use a small container to scoop it in, and don't have the dust problem anymore. So maybe if you try a small bag first, don't just pour, but scoop. If you search online, you can also find a rebate to get a small bag for free. You may need to transition the litter slowly with what you currently are using.

i use the multiple cats formula as we have 2 cats (and 1 box). Some people said the multiple formula is less smelly than the original formula. I can't say if it's true or not since I haven't tried the other one.

carolina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Here it is on Amazon Large Omega Paw Box. They do have a video in there with a demo, and it does look VERY easy. There are over 1,200 reviews and it still holds up at 4 stars, which it is very impressive. Tons of tips too...
One thing for me though, is that all my litter boxes are made of plastic with microban (anti-bacterial plastic). The difference is night and day, I am sure on the health aspect, but also on the odor - I have a cat who insists peeing on the walls, so even open litterboxes made of regular plastic need regular cleaning independent of the litter sticking to the wall or not. Even with regular cleaning the odor was bad...
The only thing for me that completely eliminated the urine odor was microban-treated plastic. I discovered it by accident with rubbermaid storage containers made for hunting, but since I was not able to find them again, I got a Petmate Jumbo Litterbox with Microban. HUGE!!! Microban is really fantastic - 0 odor... If the omega Paw was Microban treated, I would definitely give it a try... but with Lucky's wall peeing... I am out of luck... no pun intended

sherry526

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Carolina, I had to laugh at your pun! I sympathize because we all know that urine is one tough odor to get rid of. I haven't found anything yet that truly removes the smell from carpet and my Rainbow Bridge cats who were sick toward the end of their lives had all slipped a bit with the peeing. But, that's another thread I could start.

I haven't seen those microban treated boxes but knock on wood I don't need one so I'm going to try this Omega box. Ummm, that's a good idea - scoop instead of pour.

As far as switching slowly to the new litter, I thought I would keep one box with the pine shavings along with the new boxes, and let them pick which box they want, and see how it goes.

But, should I also throw some pine shavings in with the new litter at first? The pine "clumps" the poopies, but not the urine. I think it would be pretty messy. I think I just answered my own question, huh? Maybe just throw a very tiny bit of pine shavings in just to make it look good, and have mostly new litter so it clumps the urine.

When I first switched from litter to pine shavings, it was when I had Kitty and Pirate, and they didn't care at all that I switched, and took to the pine shavings with no problems. But, I've never switched on Sarah and Herman.

Having said that - Herman used regular litter at the rescue, and then immediately used pine shavings when he started living with me, and there were no adjustment problems. I don't think he'll be a problem.

That leaves Sarah, who was a little kitten stray, so she has only known pine shavings, being so young when I took her in.

Decisions decisions!

ummm

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
When when I got the 2 cats (2 weeks apart), I didn't have any transition period at all, and both cats adapt to WBCL just fine (i think they use normal clay clumping litter at the rescue). But both cats are pretty easy going and not picky.

If I remember right, if you do need to do a transition (e.g. if they don't like WBCL straight away), is to have 25% WBCL at the bottom, and the litter you currently on top 75%. Then after a few days, 50/50. Then after a few days, 75% of new litter at the bottom, and 25% of old litter at the top. Then a few days later, 100% new litter. Or something like that

~*regina*~

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I used this box for about a month, it was a great concept but IMO I found it to be to small. Also if you were not gentle when turning the box, the pee cakes broke up which never happens when I scoop.

sherry526

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Regina - did you purchase the small box or the large one? I think the small one being sold is probably too small, so I'm getting the large. My biggest kitty was Gracie and she passed away in July
. She may have been too big for it, I don't know, but my other cats are average to small, Pirate is the heaviest but he's short, so I'm going for the large box.

Ummm, I think your memory sounds about right for transitioning. It would make sense to put the new litter on the bottom to grab the urine. I hope I can find the WBCL litter in my local stores.

Thanks!

ummm

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My two cats are 7lb (short hair) and 9lb (long hair), and the large box is fine for them to share. The small one looks too small (I ordered the large online, but saw the small in the store).

You can get WBCL in petco/petsmart, I think there is a store locator on their website. don't forget to look for the small big rebate, so you can try it for free!

I do still keep a scoop nearby because sometimes the urine sticks to the bottom. I usually tab it and it'd fall off. If not, I just use the scoop (flexible plastic) to scrap it, usually it falls in one ball (though not always).

I think a good clumping litter would really makes a difference, and WBCL clumps well.

ummm

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Plus I figure if the roll n clean litter box doesn't work out, I'd only waste $35 which isn't too expansive, and could just use the bottom part as a litter box if the cats won't use it for whatever reason.

otto

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Ummm

Plus I figure if the roll n clean litter box doesn't work out, I'd only waste $35 which isn't too expansive, and could just use the bottom part as a litter box if the cats won't use it for whatever reason.
I like the way you think.

ducman69

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have four of these, two in each closet.

They are side-by-side, and I just pull one forward, roll it, and push it back, do the same to the other, and then combine the poops into one of those scoopers and flush em down the toilet. Easy peasy!

I use a half-half mix of litter which is World's Greatest and Multicat Swheat Scoop. You get the strengths of both when added together. Can go into detail if you like.

Get the large, as it is still not that big. I got it from Amazon to save tax, and even if you don't buy it there, I'd go there for the countless reviews:
http://www.amazon.com/Omega-Self-Cle...5041033&sr=8-1

I am quite happy with them, but do note that even with a good clumping litter you will want to invest in a $2 scooper or old spatula though so you can scrape off any pee balls that get stuck when they dig too deep. Spraying lightly with PAM olive spray after cleaning is also a good idea.

addiebee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Huh... I had been thinking about getting a couple of high-sided litter pans because sometimes Prowler likes to lift his hiney when he goes. Typical little boy ... he waits till his bladder is REALLY REALLY full and I think the pressure of release causes it to come out the back, too. He doesn't spray/mark and this only happens sometimes. But he has gotten the wall a few times.

ducman69

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by AddieBee

Huh... I had been thinking about getting a couple of high-sided litter pans because sometimes Prowler likes to lift his hiney when he goes. Typical little boy ... he waits till his bladder is REALLY REALLY full and I think the pressure of release causes it to come out the back, too. He doesn't spray/mark and this only happens sometimes. But he has gotten the wall a few times.
Excellent point.

The enclosure also ensures that you aren't losing litter all over the place too for those that like to not just cover but kick the litter!

addiebee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Ducman69

Excellent point.

The enclosure also ensures that you aren't losing litter all over the place too for those that like to not just cover but kick the litter!
Oh yeah... this boy also likes to excavate when he poops! I don't think there is a pan deep enough!!! LOL!

sherry526

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by AddieBee

Oh yeah... this boy also likes to excavate when he poops! I don't think there is a pan deep enough!!! LOL!
AddieBee
boy does that sound familiar! I don't know which one of mine is doing it, but I'll be watching tv and hear some digging to China upstairs in the litter box! I can't believe they haven't worn a hole through the bottom of the litter pan.

Thanks for these great ideas everyone. Pooper scooper I have but I like the old spatula idea even better. Nice and flat to scoop a "poopcake." And Ducman69, the Pam spray--I've never heard of that but I will be sure to do it. No stick poopcakes with my spatula. Yeah!

Looks like I can compare the Petco with rebate to the amazon prices since I can't find these litter boxes in my local Petcos. I want to get my mom a couple too. What a big delivery the UPS guy or mail lady is gonna have!