Omega 3's

HelenBoyd

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have an older cat that would benefit from Omega 3's but she hates fish oil, she won't eat anything with even one drop in so I tried giving it directly into her mouth but it became too stressful for her and she would just run every-time I moved because she thought I was going to give her more fish oil! I have spent a couple hundred dollars trying to find a fish oil she might take but no luck. This brought me to wondering where cats/felines get omega 3's in the wild? If it's from the stomach content of their prey would they then be getting the omega 3's from the seeds and bugs that the birds and mice eat?
If anyone knows the answer or has some alternate omega 3 suggestions I would appreciate you sharing with me. I should also mention that she has hyperthyroidism which she takes methimazole for and early stage kidney disease & she is 17 years old. She will only eat Friskies at the moment but I am considering making her food I just need some direction.

Alldara

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
You could try some flax oil or flax flour (add water to the flax flour and let it soak for a bit before adding to food)

You'll need to ask your vet about it first to see if it would react.

You can also talk to your vet about subcutaneous oil I believe. I'm not sure where that's available.

Tobermory

“What greater gift than the love of a cat.”
Staff Member
Purraise
Northwest Naturals makes a green-lipped mussel treat. Since it’s a shellfish, she might not react the same way she does to fish. Mussels are high in omega 3s. I’ve never tried the treats, but I do feed Northwest Naturals freeze-dried raw for their regular meals.

Krill oil, also a shellfish, might be another option, but I’m not personally familiar with any of the products on the market.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I have the same problem with my cat and fish oils. Although, she will eat an occasional piece of various human fish, she won't touch canned fish foods nor fish oils. I have kind of given up. I won't opt for flax oil for the following reason.

Fish oil contains eicosapentaenoic acid (EPA) and docosahexaenoic acid (DHA). Vegetable sources, such as flax oil, contain another type of essential fatty acid called alpha-linolenic acid (ALA). Humans, along with many other animals, can convert some of the ALA to EPA and DHA in the body, but cats can't do this. They can't metabolize ALA; they must have a 'pre-formed' source. Cats evolved eating prey diets rich in animal fat, which contained omega-3 and omega-6 fatty acids in the pre-formed state. The prey animals they ate had already converted plant-sourced ALA into EPA and DHA for them, so cats lost the ability – and the need – to convert it themselves. This is why plant-based FAs don't work for cats; you are skipping the intermediate step the prey animal provided.

It really is about finding some animal/fish-based source, so maybe the green-lipped mussel treat mentioned above might be an idea. I did have Feeby on a mussel-based arthritic supplement and she did eat the treats for 3 years before tiring of them. I might also consider krill oil in case that tastes different than the standard fish oils offered.

I do know one of the brands that was tested in a 'best fish oils' by cats.com suggested that PetHonestly Oemga-3 Fish Oil Supplement was 'purified' to remove fishy taste and smell. See below for a link to the list of these purported best fish oils.

I have never heard of a subcutaneous version of fish oil, but I guess one never knows!
Best Fish Oil Supplement For Cats In 2023: Reviews & Ratings

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

HelenBoyd

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
You could try some flax oil or flax flour (add water to the flax flour and let it soak for a bit before adding to food)

You'll need to ask your vet about it first to see if it would react.

You can also talk to your vet about subcutaneous oil I believe. I'm not sure where that's available.
That's good to know! Thank-you!

Tobermory

“What greater gift than the love of a cat.”
Staff Member
Purraise
I use Iceland Pure Sardine and Anchovy fish oil. It says “unscented,” but if can smell it (and I can), I know a cat could smell it! Fortunately, the girls eat it in their food with no problem.

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Betty gets a couple Cosequin chews a day that have omega-3’s in them along with glucosamine and chondroitin. She’s not a fish fan so this is huge that she keeps eating these everyday. They must not taste all that fishy.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Betty gets a couple Cosequin chews a day that have omega-3’s in them along with glucosamine and chondroitin. She’s not a fish fan so this is huge that she keeps eating these everyday. They must not taste all that fishy.
Yes, the chew formula for Cosequin contains omega-3; the powdered version (in capsules) does not. So, people need to be aware of that before deciding on Cosequin for a source of omega-3.

RainBoots

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
If your kitkat is decent at pills, you could try putting the oil you already have in a capsule.

We have a fish allergy in our house, so I am also curious what alternatives there are.

Alldara

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
RainBoots RainBoots Flax oil is a close alternative. Though for inflammation likely CBD oil is better than flax.

Glucosamine should be fine to give. It's shellfish and not fish. (Unless the allergy is to both like my wife's) my wife has never had a reaction to the glucosamine powder being on the pet food..but you'd have to assess how severe the allergy is. My wife can smell fish and not have allergies, many people cant.

If the fish allergy extends to shellfish, you could ask the vet about ground egg shells (ground to a powder). They are high in calcium though. That can cause issues....so please talk to the vet first.

Basically, it will depend on the purpose of the oil as to which suppliments are best.

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
RainBoots RainBoots Flax oil is a close alternative. Though for inflammation likely CBD oil is better than flax.

Glucosamine should be fine to give. It's shellfish and not fish. (Unless the allergy is to both like my wife's) my wife has never had a reaction to the glucosamine powder being on the pet food..but you'd have to assess how severe the allergy is. My wife can smell fish and not have allergies, many people cant.

If the fish allergy extends to shellfish, you could ask the vet about ground egg shells (ground to a powder). They are high in calcium though. That can cause issues....so please talk to the vet first.

Basically, it will depend on the purpose of the oil as to which suppliments are best.
Flax oil is wasted on cats. They convert plant-based ALA to DHA and EPA (much more effective compounds found in animal sources, mostly fish) with very low efficiency.

CBD oil should not be combined with steroids if prednisilone was prescribed. In fact, it competes with detoxification pathways of a great many drugs. Caution should be used adding CBD to any other drug regimen. Although not the same as THC, the active component in cannabis, it’s structurally similar enough to share many of the same drug interactions. Therefore, while vets still are hesitant to comment on CBD, you can do a little self research for “cannabis prescription drug interactions.” Indeed, CBD has been legal long enough that you may even find direct sources on CBD drug interactions.

Alldara

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Flax oil is wasted on cats. They convert plant-based ALA to DHA and EPA (much more effective compounds found in animal sources, mostly fish) with very low efficiency.

CBD oil should not be combined with steroids if prednisilone was prescribed. In fact, it competes with detoxification pathways of a great many drugs. Caution should be used adding CBD to any other drug regimen. Although not the same as THC, the active component in cannabis, it’s structurally similar enough to share many of the same drug interactions. Therefore, while vets still are hesitant to comment on CBD, you can do a little self research for “cannabis prescription drug interactions.” Indeed, CBD has been legal long enough that you may even find direct sources on CBD drug interactions.
Good to know! So it will also depend on what else the cat is on. I do see what you're saying noted on sources: Flaxseed Oil | VCA Canada Animal Hospitals

Flax worked really well for Nobel's bought of constipation during a food change when younger. So intended purpose will really be key in knowing what to replace fish oil with.

The above poster was looking for fish alternatives. Any recommendations for them?