Welcome to The Cat Site
your cat community
Interact with our community

Omega 3 For Healthy Cats?

Discussion in 'Cat Nutrition' started by mmin, Aug 13, 2019.

1. mmin

mmin Thread Starter TCS Member Adult Cat

Aug 4, 2018
    just wondering if giving omega 3 supplementation in capsules is a good idea for healthy cats that are not on raw food? would there be any harmful effects?? I'm thinking of giving my scottish fold omega 3 for
    a) some dandruff whenever i brush him
    b) prevention of osteoarthritis that scottish folds commonly get

also, ive been reading and have read up a little on needing to further supplement with vitamin E if i do supplement with fish oil? can someone elaborate more on that? thank you!!

2. ashekitty

ashekitty TCS Member Adult Cat

Jan 18, 2017
    Spokane, WA
    I think it is okay, my sister does it for her cat's coat. She doesn't give a full dose that someone might give a cat with joint issues though.

3. mrsgreenjeens

mrsgreenjeens Every Life Should Have Nine Cats Staff Member Advisor

Aug 13, 2009
    Arizona
    I have read several threads about giving cats fish oil (various types) and not seen about the need to add in Vitamin E. I think many people supplement food with fish oil for the very reasons you stated (mainly the occasional dandruff). I used to use Krill Oil until the boys started balking at it. Over the years I've used many different types of Omega 3s and only used Vitamin E when our Vet suggested it for our girl when her liver acted up (Not as a result of the Omega 3s)