Oma's Pride Frozen Raw

sophie1

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Oma's Pride is located close to me, so I was thinking of giving their food a try. They have a only a couple of frozen raw products they are willing to ship, but the prices are great, e.g. $10 for a 2 lb package of complete chicken and turkey food with free shipping if you order $100 worth.

The prices are almost too good to be true. Can anyone vouch for the quality of the frozen raw? I've ordered their freeze dried treats which are a different brand (O'Paws) and the quality is great.

lisahe

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The closest pet food store to me sells literally tons of Oma's Pride food. I've only ever fed a package or two of their complete cat food, Purr, which our cats liked. Unfortunately there was a recall (this was a couple of years ago) and I stopped feeding it. I recall the price being reasonable so was sorry to stop feeding it.

orange&white

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm not sure my experience is worthwhile, because it was several years ago, but Oma's Pride was a popular vendor with a raw-feeding coop of around 200 members that I belonged to. (That was more than 6 years ago though.)

My impression is that they aren't spending as much on marketing, packaging and labelling as some of the trendier new vendors. They've been doing raw before raw was "a thing". ;) The raw meat diet ingredients themselves are very inexpensive, so the price is mainly labor, packaging and advertising.

lisahe

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes, you're exactly right, orange&white orange&white , it seems that Oma's Pride is big for coops: I think my local store has something like that. You're also right that they don't do much marketing or anything. That's good and bad: there wasn't much (if any? I don't remember details) response to the cat food recall, which didn't really inspire confidence. Even so, I've thought about trying Purr again and did look into their other frozen ground meats, to use with EZ Complete, but they were pretty expensive.

orange&white

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
As many years as they've been in the raw pet food business, I would trust them to know how to make cat food. ;)

Recalls are unfortunate. Even Rad Cat had one. That's when they started HPP'ing their poultry mixes...and quite a few people have complained that now their cats won't eat the HPP'd food. :hmmm:

lisahe

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I do trust them to make the food, it was just a little discouraging that they didn't have much of a response. Maybe that came much later, I don't know because I didn't keep looking at the time, but I usually like to at least see a statement of concern!

sarah430

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I haven't tried Oma's Pride (yet), but the local pet shop that specializes in raw food sells it. They (Meat for Cats and Dogs in Portland Oregon) are really dedicated to the species appropriate diet and I personally trust anything they sell.

maureen brad

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
After reading this I checked their site out. I got pretty happy with the prices and then saw that, CA is not a state they ship to. Sad. I love HT but Oma's pricing is pretty darn good.