OM dry and wet cat food

carolcatone

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My 6 year old male cat is 22 lbs and vet put him on OM food. It has been a month and much to my surprise things are improving. We hadtrued sever diet foods, Hills etc but he hated them this one he loves. It is low in cslories and he is the type of cat that gets mad if he is hungry, he is very muscular and now is back to his jumping to high places again. Has anyone else tried OM? Thanks

squirrelfriend

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Yikes, this food is shockingly low quality and seems very unhealthy actually. Have you tried tiki cat or fancy feast? Way better.

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I actually agree the ingredients in this food are not cat appropriate at all, BUT, if they are working, and keeping him from being "hangry", then for the time being, I say, go for it. There are times when prescription foods are necessary, but I usually only say this when it comes to something like food for urinary crystals. Actually, I shocked that this food is working.

carolcatone carolcatone , once he gets down to a more appropriate weight, maybe you can try to switch him to an entirely wet food only diet, and then get him on some foods with less fillers and more meat. Cats really need lots of meat and very low carbs, so no wheat, rice, corn, soy, and really no veggies. I think the manufacturers put those in there because they are pleasing to OUR eyes :rolleyes2:

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
OM canned has 113 calories per can. The dry is 286 calories per cup. Are you feeding both types or just one?

The general rule of thumb is 20 to 25 calories per pound of ideal body weight daily. Weight loss needs to be done slowly and it can take months to reach the ideal weight. If your cat gets hangry, you may not be feeding enough calories . A 22 lb cat needs about 440 calories daily. Sure you can feed less food and calories and see the weight come off pretty quickly but you risk fatty liver disease.

Prescription food isn't needed at all for weight loss no matter what the vet says. Controlling calorie intake with any commercial cat food with good ingredients, preferably canned, is all that is needed along with exercise.

Here's a thread you may find helpful: