Oldish man Sunny having bathroom problems

Mochiandme

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Sunny is 11yo and just got over a upper respiratory infection 2ish months ago. I had him since he was a bottle baby. We foster kittens and have a downstairs bathroom for them only but my mom lets them roam around when she's preparing their food. We recently had a foster fail adoptee and had a litter box in the living room for her while she got used to the house and normal litter box. I don't know exactly when Sunny started going in the living room one, he peed and pooped in there. But we recently took it away because Sunny misses with his giant poops. He decided to poop on the floor downstairs and I think he peed on some towels that were on the floor too. Any ideas on how to get him back to the regular litter box? I caught him a few times downstairs right before he went and carried him upstairs and he went right away. It's not a huge deal but it's preferred if he goes upstairs. This foster group will be the last and in a month-ish, we can put a size appropriate litter box in that bathroom for sunny. Thank you!

Attachments

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I really think, being sick a while back and stressed with the fosters is what has done all this. In time, when he gets used to the newcomer in his house it will most likely stop, I know my male did, but it takes months. Have a normal-sized box right next to the small one, (you'll need it in the future anyway) it may help. He is trying to establish his territory by covering the new smells. Keep clothes and towels picked up, use an enzyme cat urine spray cleaner, like Nature's Miracle, to clean up. get some clear plastic carpet protector with those little nubs on the back and put it nub side up if he goes in a corner etc. it will stop him from going there. I would also start him on some DMG, (Amazon, Walmart, online) to help him build his immunity up and not be stressed by being sick. Give him lots of love and reassurance right now, it will stress him further if you scold him. all the luck!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Mochiandme

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I really think, being sick a while back and stressed with the fosters is what has done all this. In time, when he gets used to the newcomer in his house it will most likely stop, I know my male did, but it takes months. Have a normal-sized box right next to the small one, (you'll need it in the future anyway) it may help. He is trying to establish his territory by covering the new smells. Keep clothes and towels picked up, use an enzyme cat urine spray cleaner, like Nature's Miracle, to clean up. get some clear plastic carpet protector with those little nubs on the back and put it nub side up if he goes in a corner etc. it will stop him from going there. I would also start him on some DMG, (Amazon, Walmart, online) to help him build his immunity up and not be stressed by being sick. Give him lots of love and reassurance right now, it will stress him further if you scold him. all the luck!
Thank you for your advice! I'm scrubbing the floor on Wednesday with natures miracle. Thank goodness the living room is vinyl!