Oldest Known Brown Bear

betsygee

Don't believe everything you think.
Staff Member
Reaction score
What an amazing photo! Those little cubs are so cute. Glad to know that No. 399 lives. :yess:

Mia6

Mother of one
Top Cat
Reaction score
Soo adorable!! Wish she had a pretty name such as Francesca

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

denice

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Reaction score
A name would be great but they didn't realize she would become a highly publicized and watched bear when she became one that they observed and followed starting as a cub. She just got the next number. I guess she has become accustomed to people enough that she is easily seen, photographed and filmed but keeping enough distance that she hasn't become a 'problem bear'. I noticed one of the cubs is quite a bit smaller then the other three, I hope that one catches up and makes it. I imagine it is unusual for four cubs to survive but she did manage to keep three cubs alive in the past so maybe she will beat the odds. She beat the odds just by having them at this age.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Reaction score
Grizzly bears in captivity have lived to their mid-40s, so she's not really that biologically OLD; she's just really beaten the odds for a wild bear. Good for her. She didn't live that long being dumb, hopefully she teaches her cubs how to be smart too.

jefferd18

Ms. Jeff's Legacy
Top Cat
Reaction score
Okay, I am not getting this- don't mean to be a ghoul but the brown bear that killed Treadwell was 28. Even in the wilds they can live longer than their early twenties.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

denice

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Reaction score
I don't know that they were sure of the age of that bear in Alaska or it was just a guestimate. No 399 is one of a group of bears that was tagged as a cub and tracked and observed so they know exactly how old she is. She is also one that has caught the eye of the public because of her habit of staying close enough too humans but not getting too close. Hopefully that will continue. As she gets older it will be harder for her to continue that, getting too close to humans for easy food is what gets a lot of bears into trouble.