Older male will chase younger female cat into the house

TommoLB

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My 3 1/2 year old male cat has a habit of chasing my younger (1 1/2 y/o) female cat into the house if she ventures into the garden.

I noticed it last summer, but eventually the older cat accepted her in the garden, even if he did chase/stalk her in the garden occasionally (especially when she ventured out for the first time that day).

Over winter I kept the female cat indoors as she hates the back door being closed. The older cat meanwhile continued to go out (infact he becomes frustrated if he's not allowed out and takes this out on the younger cat and goes causing mischief around the house).

Now spring is nearly here, the female is keen to go out again and we've had some warmish days, so I've been able to keep the back door open. Again though, the male will often chase her indoors, before eventually relenting and "giving up".

This year, I've also let the female cat leave the garden for the first time and explore the railway embankment behind the house. 99% of the time she goes out, the male cat will stalk her and chase her back into the garden.

I suspect this is territorial, with the male cat considering the garden and beyond to be his exclusive domain (although other cats are around and he has interacted with them on good terms, i.e. not fighting and not chasing them away or stalking them). The other possibility is he's being protective of her and considers her "his" and doesn't want other cats around her (I may be reading too much into it?).

I just wondered whether others had seen similar behavior or had any ideas what might be behind it?

Both cats are "fixed" and both cats get on fine (aside from the occasional "rough play").

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My 3 1/2 year old male cat has a habit of chasing my younger (1 1/2 y/o) female cat into the house if she ventures into the garden.

I noticed it last summer, but eventually the older cat accepted her in the garden, even if he did chase/stalk her in the garden occasionally (especially when she ventured out for the first time that day).

Over winter I kept the female cat indoors as she hates the back door being closed. The older cat meanwhile continued to go out (infact he becomes frustrated if he's not allowed out and takes this out on the younger cat and goes causing mischief around the house).

Now spring is nearly here, the female is keen to go out again and we've had some warmish days, so I've been able to keep the back door open. Again though, the male will often chase her indoors, before eventually relenting and "giving up".

This year, I've also let the female cat leave the garden for the first time and explore the railway embankment behind the house. 99% of the time she goes out, the male cat will stalk her and chase her back into the garden.

I suspect this is territorial, with the male cat considering the garden and beyond to be his exclusive domain (although other cats are around and he has interacted with them on good terms, i.e. not fighting and not chasing them away or stalking them). The other possibility is he's being protective of her and considers her "his" and doesn't want other cats around her (I may be reading too much into it?).

I just wondered whether others had seen similar behavior or had any ideas what might be behind it?

Both cats are "fixed" and both cats get on fine (aside from the occasional "rough play").
Hello TommoLB TommoLB and furmily! Good on you for getting your cats fixed. Actually, experts very strongly recommend keeping cats indoors only wherever they live, for their safety and wellbeing, and your peace of mind. A railway embankment, and other cats, may not be safe for your cats. I know a lot of people in the UK let their cats out. I understand that. But I stand by what the experts say and I advocate for it, everywhere.
Not sure his motive for chasing her back into the house. Maybe he is trying to keep her safe! or maybe it's as you say. Or it could be another reason, like play and/or exercise.
Stay safe, both cats!

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I'm kinda glad he does chase her back into the garden. And, to me, it does sound protective, although I know the dangers of anthropomorphizing. At least he's happy having her in the garden, and she (actually both of them) are far safer there!

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm kinda glad he does chase her back into the garden. And, to me, it does sound protective, although I know the dangers of anthropomorphizing. At least he's happy having her in the garden, and she (actually both of them) are far safer there!
Sometimes anthropomorphizing is accurate. THEY are mammals too, after all. ;)