Older male kitten too rough with new kitten?

Jjt123

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I just adopted a 9 week old female kitten about two weeks ago. I have an older male kitten who is 9 months old and have had him since he was 12 weeks. He’s been neutered since we got him, and has always been a very normal and nice cat, cuddling in the bed at night and overall being really sweet. However, we haven’t gotten to the point where the two can really comfortably be in the same room for long. Every time she’s In the room with him he just acts really intense, immediately chasing and knocking her over, biting her throat and legs and pinning her down. While he’s doing it she doesn’t seem to like it at all. She hisses, growls, cries, and tries to kick him off of her before we step in and separate them. However, she doesn’t always seem scared of him and seems to seek out play sometimes. He just isn’t calm when she’s around and seems hyper-focused on her all the time. We keep them separate 90% of the time because it’s just distressing to watch it happen and since he’s so much bigger than her we feel we have to stop it. I’m unsure of how I’m supposed to handle this because of course I want them to cohabitate well and get along, but I also don’t want him to hurt her.

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
I have had this happen with younger females and older males and it always seemed to me that they were reacting to having an unspayed female around. I know that in theory it should not exactly happen because your boy is neutered, but it has been my experience. The alternate that I have seen is overburdening affection directed to the younger female.

How To Introduce A Kitten To An Older Cat – TheCatSite Articles
How To Fix An Unsuccessful Cat Introduction – TheCatSite Articles
How To Successfully Introduce Cats: The Ultimate Guide – TheCatSite Articles
Introducing Cats To Cats – TheCatSite Articles

These articles might help, especially if the issue is not that she is unspayed (and it may not be), and it has more to do with cat introductions.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Jjt123

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have had this happen with younger females and older males and it always seemed to me that they were reacting to having an unspayed female around. I know that in theory it should not exactly happen because your boy is neutered, but it has been my experience. The alternate that I have seen is overburdening affection directed to the younger female.

How To Introduce A Kitten To An Older Cat – TheCatSite Articles
How To Fix An Unsuccessful Cat Introduction – TheCatSite Articles
How To Successfully Introduce Cats: The Ultimate Guide – TheCatSite Articles
Introducing Cats To Cats – TheCatSite Articles

These articles might help, especially if the issue is not that she is unspayed (and it may not be), and it has more to do with cat introductions.
Thanks for your reply. The thought of it being the fact that she’s unspayed didn’t occur to me since she’s so young and he was neutered at a really young age (before we got him at 12 weeks). I thought maybe he just wasn’t used to being around other cats and so didn’t know to tone down his rough play with a younger kitten. If the unspayed thing is the case I guess we can would just have to keep them separate until she can be spayed?

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
I am not saying that it is for sure that is her being unspayed, just that I have observed that with my own cats, especially since I rescue and have on occasion had to bring a new cat in unexpectedly. Try to see if any of the suggestions in the articles help as it could well be that they are going through and adjustment period or that it is a combo of unspayed and adjusting at the same time.

Pjg8r

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
That’s a really big size difference between nine months and nine weeks. Maybe you could try a heavy duty play session with him before you have them together to lessen his intensity. I wouldn’t go right from the play session to the together time in case he’s still wired, but maybe a half hour later.

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Some cats are a little over excited by a new friend and don't understand the size difference. Especially if your cat has been an only cat, he may not realize how much bigger he is. My Link was a year and 9 pounds when we got Rocket who was 3 months and just barely a pound. He followed her around and waited for her to initiate play but he also has an older brother so he understands boundaries.

Give them time and it will be fine. For now, I'd continue to monitor their time together because he is bigger and doesn't seem to get the cues yet. But remember play can look like fighting sometimes, watch for the little one to show signs of distress. I would also say get some smaller tunnels or cut a hole in a box too small for your boy but small enough for the girl. Give her some retreat points where she can get him but he can't get to her. Both gives her safety spots if she feels she needs it but also can be fun.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Jjt123

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Some cats are a little over excited by a new friend and don't understand the size difference. Especially if your cat has been an only cat, he may not realize how much bigger he is. My Link was a year and 9 pounds when we got Rocket who was 3 months and just barely a pound. He followed her around and waited for her to initiate play but he also has an older brother so he understands boundaries.

Give them time and it will be fine. For now, I'd continue to monitor their time together because he is bigger and doesn't seem to get the cues yet. But remember play can look like fighting sometimes, watch for the little one to show signs of distress. I would also say get some smaller tunnels or cut a hole in a box too small for your boy but small enough for the girl. Give her some retreat points where she can get him but he can't get to her. Both gives her safety spots if she feels she needs it but also can be fun.
That is an awesome idea! We will try that out for sure