Older Male Cat Straining To Pee All Over The House

charliexoxo

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I immediately brought him to the vet after observing him trying to pee on everything around the apartment. This is not his typical behavior at all. He was only producing droplets. Vet didn’t detect a blockage. Gave me antibiotics for UTI as a-just-in-case that’s the issue treatment. Anyone else experience something similar? I’m nervous about leaving for work :(

tabbytom

Happiness is being owned by a cat
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
Is he crying and straining while trying to pee each time? Cats with UTI behaves this way and they pee marble sized pee very frequently. Is there a pinkish hue in the urine and if there is, it's trace of blood from the blockage.

Sometimes the pink hue is not noticeable but peeing tiny clumps and crying and straining is a sign of UTI. Sometimes if UTI is very bad, he may even poo due to the straining.

Please have him rechecked by the vet ASAP and get treatment fast.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

charliexoxo

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
No crying. Still wants attention. I did notice blood. Although doc didn’t think it was a blockage. He has diarrhea too.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If the vet said he's not blocked and didn't have a distended bladder, it's probably an infection, which makes you feel like you have to pee all the time. So he's not really straining to empty his bladder, just trying to pee when his bladder is empty, or nearly empty. It's very uncomfortable but not dangerous like a blockage. So it should be ssfe for you to go to work, and he should be feeling better soon once the antibiotics start working. You can ask the vet for some painkillers, too, if the antibiotics don't seem to be doing enough fast enough.

charliexoxo

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you for your input I’m feeling more at ease

charliexoxo

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Update: the antibiotics took about three days for him to stop peeing. We finished the week of meds. Three days after it started again. Got more meds. Four days after round 2 of antibiotics and he’s peeing blood around the house. We made another appointment for tomorrow:(

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
I am sorry you are faced with this and have no choice but to keep going forward.

catlover73

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If you do not get answers about what is going on tomorrow then please get a 2nd opinion from a different vet. My Sonny developed a partial blockage from a UTI that was misdiagnosed. Thank god my friend who is also his former foster mom went to that vet appointment with us. She felt like the vet was rushing the appointment and just got a bad vibe from him. She woke me up early the next morning on my day off and told me she was paying for my baby Sonny to get a 2nd opinion from her vet. Her vet knew immediately from looking at the other vet’s blood work that Sonny was partially blocked from a UTI. She re-did the blood work and tested his urine. When she got the results she told us he needed to be hospitalized immediately. She called ahead and sent over his test results while we were on our way to the ER vet. We were seen immediately. They started treatment immediately. Sonny made a full recovery. My point is if you are not getting answers then don’t hesitate getting a 2nd opinion. I still use my vet practice but that particular vet is not allowed to see my any of my cats again. My friend’s vet was pissed at this vet for the way Sonny was treated. Her vet’s office only charged my friend for an office visit and did everything else for free.