Older Jak, Still Questionable About Genetics

Marc Martinez II

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
The last time I made a post, Jak was just a light colored kitten. Now that he is many months older, he has grown even more clingy like a dog. He is also very talkative like Siamese.

I strongly believe that Jak has, no doubt, some Siamese in him. His coloration is that of a Snowshoe pattern, which is the contribution of Siamese with white paws and a bi-colored American Shorthair if history serves right. But anyway, here he is...
20170726_135206.jpg
20170726_135227.jpg

What really puzzles me most is his little stumpy bunny tail that he was born with. Jak was sold to me months as a Japanese Bobtail, but I honestly find that hard to believe. I have never seen color points in a "Jappy" before. Jak looks more like internet meme Grumpy Cat with a bunny tail.

Can anyone please help me at the very least take a wild guess on what the heck Jak could be really?? Thank you.

abyeb

Charlie's Purrson
Veteran
Purraise
Jak is growing into a handsome young cat! He could be a mix between a bicolor Japanese Bobtail and a Siamese, that could make the Snowshoe markings. Bicolor is one of the most popular JBT colorings.

And you're right, BTW, Snowshoe was originally a mix between Siamese (some were in a litter who had white feet) and American Shorthair.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Marc Martinez II

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thanks. And that was one of my guesses. It's clearly evident that his Snowshoe pattern makes Jak part Siamese. I've also read that two tails are exactly alike when it comes to JBT's. He may very well be both. But it also makes me curious if I were to cross him with a female Siamese because his pattern is so unique.

lyrajean

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Japanese bobtails, or rather the Japanese DSH and DLH that carry the tail mutation in Japan do come in point-colored versions, although it is a very recent thing to see breeders in America selecting for them deliberately. Shelters here tend to identify every cat with a short tail as a JBT.

I used to feed a colony of ferals in Okinawa Japan and there were definitely points there. One tortiseshell-point queen definitely had a bobbed tail. I rescued a kitten who was developing into a truly stunning lilac point, but had normal tail. She got adopted immediately after I turned her over to OOARS rescue.

My current cat Aya was the first
IMG_7910.JPG
Japanese street kitty I rescued. She has the mi-ke coloring and the body head conformation you expect to see in a JBT, but has a normal tail.

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

Marc Martinez II

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Japanese bobtails, or rather the Japanese DSH and DLH that carry the tail mutation in Japan do come in point-colored versions, although it is a very recent thing to see breeders in America selecting for them deliberately. Shelters here tend to identify every cat with a short tail as a JBT.

I used to feed a colony of ferals in Okinawa Japan and there were definitely points there. One tortiseshell-point queen definitely had a bobbed tail. I rescued a kitten who was developing into a truly stunning lilac point, but had normal tail. She got adopted immediately after I turned her over to OOARS rescue.

My current cat Aya was the firstView attachment 202224 Japanese street kitty I rescued. She has the mi-ke coloring and the body head conformation you expect to see in a JBT, but has a normal tail.
Thanks, that helps. And funny thing, because I just came into contact with the same lady a couple days ago about the identity of my cat, and further confirmed to me that Jak is, in fact, a Jappy after all. It's just that one of Jak's parents was indeed a Siamese, but Jak was one of two kittens born with the "bunny tail".