Older Cats Yowling

crackers!

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have two female Torties who are 15 and 18. Both of them have started yowling, sometimes to be fed or petted, but more often no reason at all. They can act confused and stare off into space, forget how to get off a shelf they just jumped on.

Anyone know what's going on here? The spontaneous yowling is getting to me.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi! There are a number of things that can cause this, from detecting other animals, to contact with or ingesting something toxic, to pain.
My suggestion is definitely to get both of them in to a vet as soon as you can.

basschick

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
they could be losing their hearing to some degree or their sight. but it could be that they're feeling less than perky and need to communicate with their family. definitely get them to the vet - hopefully a good one - who can help you understand what's happening.

our cat is going on 20 and yows at me all the time, but he's always been a mow-er, although it's ramped up a bit lately. he stops mow-ing when i pick him up or pet him or go lie down in bed with him, but sometimes he continues to mow.

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
Most of my cats have made it to their late teens and pretty much all of them became yowlers at some point. Mostly late night, middle of the basement noisemaking but a little wandering and yowling throughout the house. Older cats often develop dementia where they have periods of time where they may be restless and confused and I think this is where the yowling comes in.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

crackers!

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have had them both to the vet for thorough exams and blood tests. They are physical completely healthy. My vet also mentioned dementia, and I think that' s what it is. Vet gave me gabapentin which she said would calm them down, is putting one on Prozac. Something has to give: I am taking Xanax now just live with them.

basschick

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
i find that often the fastest way for me to get back to sleep is to give HK a can of food. i know he's not mow-ing because he's hungry as we leave food he likes out for him, but he likes the act of being fed and it distracts him.

jen

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have had them both to the vet for thorough exams and blood tests. They are physical completely healthy. My vet also mentioned dementia, and I think that' s what it is. Vet gave me gabapentin which she said would calm them down, is putting one on Prozac. Something has to give: I am taking Xanax now just live with them.
Did the vet check their blood pressure too? That is another important thing that can make them much more vocal when they age.

Timmer

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I estimate my cat to be about 13-14 years old. She is starting to yowl a bit too but I had a cat pass away in January and she is the only cat in the house now. She and Timmer NEVER got along and lived separately so it's not like she misses having someone to play with, but he was a presence in the house. And yet, she makes noise if I am home too. Obviously if I am not at home I don't know what she does. I have no idea why she makes the sound but I think we have some good ideas here from these smart people.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

crackers!

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thanks, everyone. A can of Fancy Feast does work wonders (not for my income), and no, the vet didn't check the bp. She should have done it. She is new on the staff at the animal hospital. I am going to ask for my old vet back.