Older Cat

camillel

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I have a 14yo female Tourtise Cat. She was always heavy ( 22 lbs). Now  she is starting to loose weight. She is eating, drinking , playing normally but has lost  at least  8 lbs. Any suggestions. Spoke to vet and everything is normal.

hexiesfriend

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
A blood test showed normal blood sugar? Is she peeing more than normal? The vet has to have an explanation for an 8lb weight loss.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

camillel

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Her blood work and everything is normal The 8 lb lose has been over the past 2 months. Vet stated could just be age. I need to bring her in again in 6 weeks for a recheck but just wondering if this is normal

rampionrampage

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I'd want a second opinion. 8 lbs over two months isn't much for a person, but for a cat that is something like 1/3 her original body weight.

My fat guy lost one lb in two weeks (he has neuro issues that are probably from a tumor, and went blind as a result) and the same vet that originally wanted me to do rx food to help bring down his weight suggested I bring food to him to make sure he doesn't keep losing weight like that. He's still supposed to lose weight, but the vet was specifically instructing me to keep him from losing too drastically. It's a lot of stress on the body.

If she's eating and eliminating normally, that has to be going *somewhere*.

Last edited:

stephenq

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

OK thanks. I will
This is not normal, not at all. an 8lb loss, even on a very heavy cat is still HUGE and the trend is very worrisome. Neg for hyperthyroidism, diabetes, liver values ok, and stool is ok and no vomiting?  Food consumption is the same?  If all the above was normal and the vet tested for everything they can think if, then i might start to think about an ultrasound.....

rampionrampage

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Yeah. I'd be worried about a tumor or something.

I mean, it's a stretch that it would be so dramatic, did they at least do thorough check for parasites?

hexiesfriend

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
When this happened to my big girl she was diagnosed with diabetes. You may want to vet to keep her to test her throughout the day. This assumes she is eating like normal.