Older cat unsociable even with addition of new kitty?

jasmine's dad

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hey Guys,

Thanks to the advice recieved in this forum, we decided to get Jasmine a new playmate to keep her busy while my fiancee and I are at work. Jacob, the newest addition to the family is a 3 month old, black and white male. We introduced them on Saturday, nice and slow, and with lots of supervision. After a day and a half of swatting, hissing and spitting, Jasmine follows him around everywhere and they play like they've been buddies for ever. I can't believe how well things are going.

The only problem is, Jasmine is paying so much attention to Jacob, that she rarely comes to us for petting sessions anymore, and will even meow and bite hard if we try. She doesn't really even come near us unless it's right when we come home after being away for a few hours, and even then, the purrs last for only a few minutes. And god forbid you try to pick her up.

When we first got her she slept on our laps and loved attention, and playing, but lately (even before Jacob), she just lays on her blanket or in a different room and will only come close when there's a treat in it for her.

Is there anything to do to make her more sociable? Will the new kitten make her want lovin if she sees him getting it? I just want her back the way she was, so any help would be appreciated... Sorry for the novel...

We did get her declawed, as I didn't find this site until too late, and she is spayed...

Thanks,

Jasmine's Dad (& Jacob's too now!!)

donna

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Dear Jasmine's Dad,

Her behavior has nothing to do with the new kitten. It has to do with having her declawed.

Please read these links.

http://www.listnow.com/helpingpaws/a...rticle_87.html
http://www.listnow.com/helpingpaws/a...rticle_18.html

Since I am a firm believer that declawing should be outlawed, I will not go into my speech seeing as it wouldn't do any good anyway. Too little too late.

Jasmine is cranky because you had her claws cut off at the first knuckle (tendons, ligaments and all). It probably hurts her to walk, dig in the cat box, etc. She will, in her old age, develop arthritis. You're very lucky she hasn't had litterbox problems. And if she does, you can blame yourself.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

jasmine's dad

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Donna,

No one ever educated me on the declawing process, so that was why we did it. I found this site about two months too late. The vet never even warned me about the harm I would be doing to my precious kitten.

I read up on the declawing procedure on my first visit to the site, and all I was really asking was if there is anything I can do to comfort her. I didn't post to be flamed for an honest mistake. In all the books I've ever read on Cat's, not one of them mentioned the horrors of the declawing process, and I feel terrible enough already for having it done to her.

Needless to say, Jacob will be keeping his claws.

I did read the articles found at the links you posted, but nowhere does it say anything about how to make life better for a declawed cat, so can someone please suggest something?

I'm just trying to make up for my mistake.

Jasmine's Dad

Originally posted by donna
Dear Jasmine's Dad,

Her behavior has nothing to do with the new kitten. It has to do with having her declawed.

Please read these links.

http://www.listnow.com/helpingpaws/a...rticle_87.html
http://www.listnow.com/helpingpaws/a...rticle_18.html

Since I am a firm believer that declawing should be outlawed, I will not go into my speech seeing as it wouldn't do any good anyway. Too little too late.

Jasmine is cranky because you had her claws cut off at the first knuckle (tendons, ligaments and all). It probably hurts her to walk, dig in the cat box, etc. She will, in her old age, develop arthritis. You're very lucky she hasn't had litterbox problems. And if she does, you can blame yourself.

swalker

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Hi Jasmine's Dad...
My boyfriend did the same thing. He declawed his first cat not knowing what was going on, and then I educated him and his two new babies have their claws!! yippee!! It sounds as if you understand the problems of declawing, good thing for Jacob.
I would suggest taking it very slow with Jasmine. Cats like to adjust to new things on their terms not ours. Jacob is new to her even though they are getting along very well. Every chance you get to give her some lovin' jump at the chance. Try holding Jacob and see if she will come over to you. Talk to her as much as you can. Treats are ideal to get them close even if it is just for a moment. Hopefully in time she will bounce back to her regular self. Unfortunately, declawing does more to kitties than you or I could really ever imagine. Try to understand how she feels and give her tons of Love and Affection and Attention. Good luck to you!! I am so happy to hear the two of them are getting along.