Older cat suddenly has a “mustache”

kpc1024

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
My 15 yo cat, Rascal, has late stage kidney dIsease and is very anemic, We are loving him and making him as happy as we can. He seems to have some weird symptoms, though. The fur on his nose is receding and he has two dark marks on both sides under his nose, looking very much like a mustache.
What’s up with this? Anyone experience this as well?

Maurey

Maine Coon Madness
Top Cat
Purraise
Could you post some photos? A shot of what he looked before you noticed the spots appearing may be helpful, as well.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

kpc1024

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Could you post some photos? A shot of what he looked before you noticed the spots appearing may be helpful, as well.
Good idea! Thanks

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
Thank you for posting the pics of his cute little face! Is the dark material actually skin under the fur or is it a color or texture change in the fur?

artiemom

Artie, my Angel; a part of my heart
Top Cat
Purraise
Such a cute and sweet looking baby
Could it be feline acne? What type of food bowl and water dish is he using..

kpc1024

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thank you for posting the pics of his cute little face! Is the dark material actually skin under the fur or is it a color or texture change in the fur?
❤. I honestly don’t know if it is under the skin or the fur. He won’t let me look too carefully. There is def changes to hair texture happening. His nose is actually losing hair. Since being diagnosed with kidney disease, he has has funky hair stuff going on, like patches of hair loss.

kpc1024

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Such a cute and sweet looking baby
Could it be feline acne? What type of food bowl and water dish is he using..
I don’t think it is acne. I could be wrong. He def has it under his chin and I have been dabbing it with hydrogen peroxide. He uses a ceramic or stainless steal feeding bowl.

artiemom

Artie, my Angel; a part of my heart
Top Cat
Purraise
How long has he had kidney disease?
Is he on a steroid? From experience, Artie was on prednisolone, and had some patchy hair loss..
I am wondering if this could be a side effect from medication.

If you are able to send pictures to your Vet, please do. Follow that up with a phone call.. and a possible appointment.

((hugs))

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise
My cat had bad acne like that. The vet gave her antibiotics and wipes. Neosporin can be used. No ceramic bowls or wash them after every use

kpc1024

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
How long has he had kidney disease?
Is he on a steroid? From experience, Artie was on prednisolone, and had some patchy hair loss..
I am wondering if this could be a side effect from medication.

If you are able to send pictures to your Vet, please do. Follow that up with a phone call.. and a possible appointment.

((hugs))
He was diagnosed with stage 4 a few months back. We went from "let's keep an eye on his kidney values" to stage 4 so quickly. He was on steroids for a bit, that may be the answer to the hair loss. We were at the vet recently and she didn't mention anything beyond the kidney disease and anemia. I will ask when I go back.

kpc1024

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
My cat had bad acne like that. The vet gave her antibiotics and wipes. Neosporin can be used. No ceramic bowls or wash them after every use
I will try the neosporin, thanks!