Older cat sleeping less at night but more during day

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Just curious if this is common. Feeby (16+ yo) has been sleeping more during the day over the past few years and I assume that to be pretty commonplace given her age. But, just very recently, she is sleeping even more during the day but it is resulting in her sleeping less at night. She used to sleep at least 6 hours straight at night by my side. Now, she will lay down for a bit, then get up and move to another location on the bed, and repeat, repeat, repeat. Sometimes, she will leave the room before anyone gets up and we will find her a bit later napping elsewhere. Have others experienced something similar?

Recent history: She had her geriatric check up less than a month ago - no issues with her blood work except her T4 (thyroid) was a bit high. She will be re-checked in the next few weeks for comparison. There may be days when she eats more, but many others when she does not, so she is not consistently 'over-eating'. She has lost some weight, but she was losing weight even last year when her thyroid level was well within range.

Would this kind of change in behavior happen with hyperthyroidism? Thanks for your thoughts!

Last edited:

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise
I remember once my cat Josie, senior, would get up,pick up a ball,put it down, then go back to bed. Assume she sleep walked. Sorry, no nothing about hyperthyroidism but your post reminded me of that. Hope she's ok!

cataholic07

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Is she on anything for pain? It could be arthritis and she just can't get comfortable so she keeps waking up.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Is she on anything for pain? It could be arthritis and she just can't get comfortable so she keeps waking up.
She is only on Glyco Flex Plus (glucosamine, chondroitin, and green lipped mussels) for her arthritis. But, is there something about arthritis that I don't know about that would only bother her at night, given she can sleep so well during the day?