Older Cat not Getting Along with Kitten

LizWIz

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi, I recently got a kitten (Lily) 2 weeks ago to keep my cat (Ginger) company after his brother passed away almost a year ago and I believe that I followed the introduction protocol correctly:
1. I had the cats smell each other without seeing each other such as having them smell the room that each cat has previously been in along with blankets that have been rubbed on each cat. (Ginger met the kitten a few months ago while he was outside, Lily is a street cat that I rescued, but since she has been in my house they have not seen each other except for the first day he escaped from my grasp and attacked her).
2. I had them meet through the door and there was no hissing just Ginger reaching under the door to get her. ( This went on for about 5 days)
3. I then had Lily in a carrier so that Ginger can smell and investigate. (He instantly attacked it and got puffed up)
4. After he stopped attacking as often I took the Lily out of the cage a few days later and fed them in the same room. Ginger did not attack because he was distracted but he kept an eye on her. He tried to run towards her a few times without puffing his fur up and I sprayed him with water or clapped my hands to distract him and that worked.
After doing all that Ginger appeared less aggressive towards her, however, a few minutes ago Lily escaped from my room and ran into Ginger who proceeded to attack her, and I had to use a blanket to tear him off of her (in the process I was bitten a few times). She then ran under my bed and he was desperate to catch her again. I have never seen him that aggressive or mad before. He has never even hissed at or scratched anyone in his life.
Is there no hope for him to tolerate her? I do not want to rehome Lily as yet. I would appreciate any help to have him stop behaving so aggressive towards her. Do you think that Feliway could help or is he just jealous?

Thank you.

ArtNJ

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
How old is Lily? Did she have any wounds from the attack?

Its likely I'll suggest you back up and do an extended visual step. Can you isolate the kitten in a room that is barred with double stacked baby gates or a homemade contraption? We have some pictures around here somewhere of what folks have built. This allows the visual step to be all day long which you can't do if you are putting the kitten in the carrier.

Our guide has some pictures, but some members have built other sorts of visual isolation barriers. How To Successfully Introduce Cats: The Ultimate Guide – TheCatSite Articles

For the future, I wouldn't squirt for distraction. Anything that increases the adult cats stress while the kitten is around is bad for progress.

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

LizWIz

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you for your response,

Lily is approximately 6 months and she does not have any wounds thankfully or at least none that I have seen I touched every part of her and she did not react in pain.

I was planning on purchasing a tall pet gate so I could use that. So you recommend keeping her in a room with a gate so that my other cat can always see her? And I will try clapping instead of using a spray bottle.

ArtNJ

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes, I'd back up and try a week or so (depending on how it goes) long visual step. Then, I think this may freak you out bc I know it looks super scary, but adult cats don't actually hurt kittens, and 6 months old is still a kitten. What some of them do is they charge the kitten and swat at it in a kind of "get away from me you invader!" kind of thing. Thats as bad as it gets, and it sounds like you had that. So you don't need to panic, and can actually make sure the older cat is going to do that before intervening. Preferably by a way that won't cause stress like grabbing the kitten. But *hopefully* with a week or so visual step, things won't come to that.

LizWIz

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Okay, thank you so much for your advice I'll go ahead and purchase the gate and try that! Also, I am worried that Ginger is actually trying to inflict harm instead of just a swat since he was on her and it was pure chaos, but maybe you're right since she did not have any bite marks on her.

ArtNJ

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Was there hissing, growling or screaming/yowling before the attack? Also what did it look like? Rolling around, or charging while waving the paw around and maybe swatting the kitten a couple of times? If it was rolling around, then I agree that warrants extra caution. But I've never heard of a kitten of 6 months or younger getting bitten. Some sort of biological hard wiring.

Hopefully, the gate and some more time will take care of it so you don't have to make those difficult calls.

LizWIz

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
There was no sound from before the attack the only time he made sounds was when I tried to grab him. He chased her while waving his paws then pounced and while the kitten was crying and trying to escape there was some rolling, but it all happened so fast I can't be too sure, unfortunately.

ArtNJ

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hopefully, he just wanted to pin her and put her in her place, but it does sound scary. I'll keep my fingers crossed that some real time with the gate improves things. Good luck!

LizWIz

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you so much!