Older Cat Butting In Where He Doesn't Belong.

bethpush

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I recently posted about a rescued cat I'm taking care of and her kittens, they're older now and doing very well. The kittens are now almost 6 weeks old and have been roaming all over our home, the cats that I already owned have adjusted to their presence and stopped hissing at them.

My problem is that one of my males (Don't worry, he's nuetured) has become so comfortable that he's started nuzzling up with them and nursing from the momma cat even though he's over a year old himself. Sometimes all the kittens are drinking happily with him, but sometimes he's pushed a kitten or two away so he can have more room.

Whenever I see him trying I always pull him away, but will I need to think about finding a way to seperate them more completely? I'm not always home to put a stop to it. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!

kashmir64

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Could you put mamma and babies in another closed off room (like bathroom) until they are weaned and the milk dries up? Maybe just while they are nursing.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

bethpush

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Unfortunately I have a type of home where the only way to truly lock them seperate is someone in the house and someone in the garage. The walls don't quite touch the ceiling and the cats are well aware of that fact.

I wouldn't trust that many kittens in the garage, but I could put the nuetured male out there. If he managed to get out he has the temperament that I trust he would come back, and while out wouldn't contribute to further cat population problems. Lol

Thank you.

kashmir64

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Do you have a cat or dog carrier? Just put him in there while they are nursing. When they are done, let him out.

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I agree, you put the adult somewhere you can control him. NOT the kittens and momma... Kashmirs suggestion may work nicely too. I suppose the bathroom may be another alternative.