Oldboy (2003)

lookingglass

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oldboy

Sometimes I feel the need to defend my movie selections to my wonderful husband. I'll admit I do my research. If we are going to go see a movie in the theater I read reviews, look at meta-critics sites, and go by recommendations of people that have similar tastes that I do. Oldboy needed a lot of defense. It's not an easy film to watch, nor is it a light fun action film for a summer evening.

Dae-su Oh is a man who was imprisoned for 15 years, and not told why he's being tormented. The film starts with him in a police station acting like a moron. He's late for his daughter's birthday, and he's making trouble for himself in the station. We then go down the rabbit hole. Hang on people this one is a wild ride. That's as much of the plot as I feel comfortable giving out. Yes, you must watch it if you really want to know what happens.

Now for the paragraph of warnings that should go along with this film. 1. It's in Korean, so you'll have to put up with subtitles. 2. There is a graphic torture sequence involving teeth, Vivaldi, and a hammer. 3. There are naked bits, and a lengthy sex scene.

So, leave the children out of the room when you are watching the Korea film that is sub-titled about man who's been imprisoned for 15 years. I know it's tempting, but I doubt a 5 year old would enjoy it. However, they would enjoy Wall-E.

If anyone rents this please let me know. I'd love to discuss it.

coolcat

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
So sorry Heather, I´m not "inside" this movie...
I would love to disccuss with you about it,...
take my attention the fact that:
"Based on Japanese Manga "Oldboy" by Minegishi Nobuaki and Tsuchiya Garon" some comic Manga are dark...
have you ever watched:GHOST in THE SHELL?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ghost_in_the_Shell
Pretty dark, I saw it last weekend...
very very "blade runner" type but as Japanese type,...did I mention that all was as comics? no person just cartoons....
....Just for persons with criteria.....

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

lookingglass

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by CoolCat

So sorry Heather, I´m not "inside" this movie...
I would love to disccuss with you about it,...
take my attention the fact that:
"Based on Japanese Manga "Oldboy" by Minegishi Nobuaki and Tsuchiya Garon" some comic Manga are dark...
have you ever watched:GHOST in THE SHELL?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ghost_in_the_Shell
Pretty dark, I saw it last weekend...
very very "blade runner" type but as Japanese type,...did I mention that all was as comics? no person just cartoons....
....Just for persons with criteria.....
When my husband and I were dating he asked, very shyly, "Have you ever watched Ghost in the Shell?"

Me: "It's one of my favorite animated movies ever."

It helped us fall in love. Thanks for bringing up that memory.

coolcat

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by lookingglass

When my husband and I were dating he asked, very shyly, "Have you ever watched Ghost in the Shell?"
Me: "It's one of my favorite animated movies ever."
It helped us fall in love. Thanks for bringing up that memory.
Oh My!....
...I figured the concept was like that...

For sure you gave me the "worm" of the curiosity and for sure I´ll going for rent it to watch....