Old songs from your teen years/childhood

4kids4cats

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I have been on this old song kick lately.

I had to have the Linda Rondstat song Blue Bayou the other day. I remembered it while watching Man on Fire when it came out. I had forgotten about that song until then. I really want a record player with the real record. Maybe I will find one at a garage sale next summer. I went out and bought a 70's greatest hits CD with the song on it. Funny because I know all the songs on the CD by heart. My kids even knew most of them.

Last night we were watching a movie (Skeleton Key) and Iko Iko was one of the songs in the movie. Dave was laughing when I started singing ALL the words. He has never even heard the song. I remembered that Cyndi Lauper album. I am pretty sure it was on the True Colors album. Now I have to have that one too. Luckily he is getting some easy Christmas gift ideas from my craziness. We had to google Cyndi Lauper last night to hear it. My son and I were having a race on the computers to see who could find it first. It was a tie....LOL

Any one else get hooked on old music like I do? Last year it was Aerosmith, GunsNRoses and Bon Jovi. Now I am heading even further back in my childhood. It really is funny how many of those songs my 14 year old son knows.

Bobbie

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I am still wondering how Motley Crue became "classic " rock..lol

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

4kids4cats

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by sharky

I am still wondering how Motley Crue became "classic " rock..lol
LOL maybe because it's 25 years old now? At least it ages well with time!
Have you seen the AC/DC , Rolling stones, Kiss, Pink Floyd, etc. t-shirts out again. Teens are buying them again. Maybe it's like fashion. Stuff that we wore as kids is "back" again.

ashleynicole

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by 4kids4cats

LOL maybe because it's 25 years old now? At least it ages well with time!
Have you seen the AC/DC , Rolling stones, Kiss, Pink Floyd, etc. t-shirts out again. Teens are buying them again. Maybe it's like fashion. Stuff that we wore as kids is "back" again.
Hehe, I'm 20, my BF is 21, and thats pretty much the music we listen to. I grew up listening to whats now called "Oldies" with my parents, and I still love them! I'm not a big fan of most of the new music, with the exception of Modest Mouse, the Strokes, the Killers, and bands like that...

stampit3d

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Ya`ll are just BABIES on here!
You don`t remember a really great song till you are old enough to remember , and sing, "There Was An Old Lady Who Swallowed A Fly!"
Linda

marie-p

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Unfashionable end of the western spiral arm of the
I'm also really into "older" music. Mostly 80s stuff at first... now I'm moving into older stuff.

These days mostly listening to old Elton John stuff, Beatles, Beach Boys (silly, I know
but there's nothing like listening to "Surfing USA" while there's a snow storm outside
)

It's not a nostalgic thing for me... it all dates from before I was born.

If I want to be nostalgic, I'll listen to older REM, U2, Radiohead, Rage Against the Machine.

kerrimah2005

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
yup 80s music some Id rather not admit lol ..but those glam bands were the best ..poison...bon jovi....warrent ..funni i saw a special on them and they look totalli different now .....gosh maybe im geting old too lol

vespacat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The first record I bought was a new wave complilation in 1982. I grew up in the 80's, and for most of my teen years listened to goth/punk/ska... anything alternative for the time. I HATED the hair bands of the time.

During my pre-teen years, I listened to my parents old Beatles/Stones/Monkees, etc. 45's on my record player. Then I found Duran Duran which brought me into liking my own stuff.

fwan

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
when i was in primary school, PRINCE, MICHAEL JACKSON; spice girls, aereosmith, and bonjovi were popular as far as i remember
Britney spears came out when i just started highschool haha

ellen55

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I was a teenager in the sixties and my favorite groups were from the "British Invasion". Beatles, Rolling Stones, Gerry and the Pacemakers, Hermen's Hermits, Zombies, Dave Clark Five, Freddie & The Dreamers, ect.......

valanhb

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
LOL A friend's tween daughter, a few years ago, came in and told her "Mom you HAVE to hear this new band! They are so cool and the singer is really cute!" And who was that band? BON JOVI!
Her daughter did NOT believe her when she told her that she was into Bon Jovi when she was her age.

Child of the 80s here, and a hair band headbanger to boot. I've actually seen more concerts in the last few years of those bands than I did in the 80s!
Heck, Faster Pussycat was just here last night.

katl8e

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I was 6 years old, when the Beatles appeared on the "Ed Sullivan Show". In addition to them, I listened to the Beach Boys, the Turtles, Gerry & the Pacemakers, the Dave Clark Five and Herman's Hermits. Thanks to my local oldies station, I still do.

Moving into the '70s, Simon & Garfunkel were hits with me and my all-time favorite album is Carole King's "Tapestry". I've worn out several vinyl copies and cassette tapes. A few years back, I bought it on CD.

My parents always played country and gospel music and I still listen to Johnny Cash, Willie Nelson and the newer performers, too. Gotta love Toby Keith, George Strait, Tim McGraw and Gretchen Wilson.

gayef

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I was 6 years old, when the Beatles appeared on the "Ed Sullivan Show".
LOL I was 5 and I clearly remember my older sister absolutely screaming at the top of her lungs so loudly that no one could even hear the performance! I think they did "I Wanna Hold Your Hand", didn't they? "Rubber Soul" is still my all time fav Beatles recording.

... my all-time favorite album is Carole King's "Tapestry". I've worn out several vinyl copies and cassette tapes. A few years back, I bought it on CD.
You have great taste in music! I will play "I Feel The Earth Move" when I am running my vacuum cleaner. *smile* It has a way of motivating me in a way no other song does.

... Gotta love ... Gretchen Wilson
And can I get a big ~H-E-Double-Hockey-Sticks Yeah~ from all the country girls like me?

katl8e

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Hey Gaye, if you ever come to Tucson, we can hit "Way Back Wednesday" at City Limits and any Saturday night, at the Cactus Moon.

percysmom

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Amazing my cousins 15 yr old is into vinyl and The Ramones are his fav. My sons listen to Pink Floyd and Zeppelin, I was a teen in the early 70's and I also own Tapestry. And He## ya! I love country now. My father played all knds of music all the time, I think I know the words to most of the songs from the 40' to the 70's that he played. And I sing alot of Patsy Cline and country. My favorite is "Leaving on your Mind"