Old Kitten Hissing At New Kitten

EmmiTemmi

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Today I adopted my second kitten. He's almost the exact same age as the kitten I've had for a month. I've read a lot about how to introduce two kittens, but I've also heard the process is quicker with younger cats.

The new kitten, Monty, is in the bathroom with water/food/litter/toys, and I've fed Colby and Monty their favorite wet food on opposite sides of the door. But I'm just one person, and I feel kind of overwhelmed with two kittens when before last month I didn't have any.

I want them to like each other but Colby, my resident kitten, keeps hissing at Monty through the bathroom door. Should I try to stop the hissing, or let it happen? I try to distract Colby with toys and treats, but he ignores them in favor of growling and hissing at the door.

dahli6

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Just let them be then. Growling and hissing is fine. They may even fight a little but it is really doubtful.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

EmmiTemmi

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Any idea how long I should keep them separated? The bathroom is kind of tiny and I feel bad about keeping Monty in there. But I don't want them to attack each other either. Now they've started pawing at each other through the door while they growl and hiss...

dahli6

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Any idea how long I should keep them separated? The bathroom is kind of tiny and I feel bad about keeping Monty in there. But I don't want them to attack each other either. Now they've started pawing at each other through the door while they growl and hiss...
Open the door. That is what I meant. Let them interact.
At 5 months they are still juvenile so they will hiss and growl but they will probably be rough housing and chasing each other through the house within the hour.

EmmiTemmi

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Thanks, dahli6, I let Monty out to interact with Colby and it was so interesting to see the dynamic between the two of them. At first it was a lot of hissing on Colby's part, but now they're running around the apartment and play-fighting. Or, I hope it's play-fighting. They switch off on who does the chasing, there's very little hissing anymore, and neither of them seem super upset, nor have they been hurt. Hopefully it continues to go this smoothly, although I might keep Monty in the bathroom overnight when I can't supervise. I would hate for something to happen to either of them!

dahli6

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
It's playfighting. It will look pretty vicious sometimes. As long as both are "fixed" they will probably always get along.

danteshuman

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think cats hiss to introduce them selves to the new comer ;) That said please be sure to neuter them soon to avoid behavioral issues. I personally vote for the 6 month mark, though my punk got neutered early at 4.5 months old because he started wiggling his tail & freaked out. *turns out he wiggles his tail when he gets excited ** I like to spay female kittens at 4-5 months just to be sure there are no surprise pregnancies

EmmiTemmi

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I think cats hiss to introduce them selves to the new comer ;) That said please be sure to neuter them soon to avoid behavioral issues. I personally vote for the 6 month mark, though my punk got neutered early at 4.5 months old because he started wiggling his tail & freaked out. *turns out he wiggles his tail when he gets excited ** I like to spay female kittens at 4-5 months just to be sure there are no surprise pregnancies
Both of them are already neutered, so that won't be a problem! The shelter they came from neuters at 4 months and then adopts them out. No un-fixed animals ever leave their care.

danteshuman

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I was just hoping to prevent an issue. Yeah no spraying or extra fighting. I'm sure they will be friends soon enough :)