Old cat seems to be afraid of new cat, is it too late to fix things?

cherryberry

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello! I made a forum last night, but I wanted to come back and make another because it seems my old cat is actually afraid of my new cat and I dont know what to do.

Anyway, yesterday we got a new cat. My mom just plopped them together even though I told her (and she agreed) we needed to introduce them through separate rooms. However it seems my old cat is afraid of the new cat. Anytime she walks up to him he'll back off and run away.

We are going to separate them (after she realized he was infact afraid) but is it too late to fix things? I know cats arent supposed to see each other right when theyre first introduced, but that obviously didnt happen. I want my old cat to be happy, and I also dont wanna have to get rid of new cat. If we keep her in another room for a while will he stop being afraid of her? If I do put her in another room and he continues to be afraid, what do we do?

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. You just got this new cat yesterday? That being the case, it certainly is not too late to fix things. Just start over and use the TCS articles below to help you devise a plan for proper introductions, keeping in mind you can only advance through the steps in accordance with the slowest adapting cat! I also included an article about how to help your new cat adapt to their new home.
How To Successfully Introduce Cats: The Ultimate Guide – TheCatSite Articles
How To Introduce A Kitten To An Older Cat – TheCatSite Articles
How To Help A New Cat Adjust To Your Home – TheCatSite Articles

ArtNJ

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yep, one day is nothing. Since they did not actually fight, zero harm was done.

Ages of the two cats please? That matters a lot.

Even if your mom refused to cooperated with an introduction process, that wouldn't necessarily be a terrible problem. Around the world, many many people just put cats together right away, and they can often work things out getting past initial issues -- pretty much anything except actual fighting. However, if we aren't talking kittens, the best practice is to use a formal introduction process as discussed in the guides above. And an introduction process is particularly useful with older cats. It will reduce the chances of long term problems and given them the best possibility of becoming friends. If the cats are young and thing seem to be going well, the introduction process does not necessarily need to be long.

danteshuman

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I would give them at least a week (depending on age) of site swapping. Site swapping where one cat is locked in a room for half the day, why the other cat has the run of the place. Then you lock the other cat in another room & release your locked up cat. For an older cat plan on it taking weeks if not months.

Since they didn’t fight, no long term damage. Just take it as slow as your most reluctant cat.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

cherryberry

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Yep, one day is nothing. Since they did not actually fight, zero harm was done.

Ages of the two cats please? That matters a lot.

Even if your mom refused to cooperated with an introduction process, that wouldn't necessarily be a terrible problem. Around the world, many many people just put cats together right away, and they can often work things out getting past initial issues -- pretty much anything except actual fighting. However, if we aren't talking kittens, the best practice is to use a formal introduction process as discussed in the guides above. And an introduction process is particularly useful with older cats. It will reduce the chances of long term problems and given them the best possibility of becoming friends. If the cats are young and thing seem to be going well, the introduction process does not necessarily need to be long.
Im not EXACTLY sure of their ages. Our pre-existing cat was about 1-2 when we got him, and we got him last july. hes probably 2-3. Our new cat, they said she was about 1 and a half, but she seems kinda small?

cherryberry

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I would give them at least a week (depending on age) of site swapping. Site swapping where one cat is locked in a room for half the day, why the other cat has the run of the place. Then you lock the other cat in another room & release your locked up cat. For an older cat plan on it taking weeks if not months.

Since they didn’t fight, no long term damage. Just take it as slow as your most reluctant cat.
How exactly should we go about site swapping? My mom lets our pre-existing cat outsude (yes, I know cats shouldnt go outside, I have absolutely no say in this) and he usually stays outside for a few hours. Would it be okay to let her roam freely while he's outside, or do they both need to be in the house together? Will it still work if we do it when he goes outside considering she'll have some free time outside of the room when hes not in, and will be in the same house when hes inside?

danteshuman

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Him being outside would work for a couple of hours though him coming back inside may be an issue (locking her up first, then letting him in.)

That said each cat needs out of the room for 12 hours every day. If you keep a cat locked in a room all day they go stir crazy. So a set schedule would help. It gives cats time to get used to each other’s smell and for cats to mingle their smells a bit by using the same cat bed (for example.)

cherryberry

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Him being outside would work for a couple of hours though him coming back inside may be an issue (locking her up first, then letting him in.)

That said each cat needs out of the room for 12 hours every day. If you keep a cat locked in a room all day they go stir crazy. So a set schedule would help. It gives cats time to get used to each other’s smell and for cats to mingle their smells a bit by using the same cat bed (for example.)
yeah, ive got her in my moms room right now cuz we're both going to bed. i just feel really bad cuz her room is probably between 12x12 and 15x15. i wanted to keep her in my room (19x10) but it isnt quite clean yet. I thought about just letting her back out with my other cat as they never fought or hissed, but I'm afraid of leaving them unsupervised

FenixFlair

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi, I'm Cherry's Mom. 🙋
I just saw this pop up on my phone and wasn't aware she was asking for help.

Yes, I feel badly for her. She was in tears this afternoon because she feels guilty for our 1st cat, "Bobo".

But, I'm trying to relieve her a little. It's not quite as bad as she thinks it is.

Fortunately, there's absolutely no fighting, both cats ARE curious and interested in each other..., The new little cat, "Cinnamon" has tried to initiate play and rubs, but Bobo acts a bit stand offish.

My understanding for Bobo is he didn't come from a good place. We adopted him from the local shelter last month around the 2nd week of July. He had been there for about a month.

From his behavior, he doesn't seem to interact with ANY animals in our neighborhood... Cat or dog. He loves going outside, but if the local stray Tom, "Oliver" comes around, or anything he doesn't like, he heads to the roof.

I've noticed lately, he's not been going to the roof lately. (So, good news)

But, from the beginning, Bo was exceptionally clingy. He sleeps in my arm, (until last week. I bought him a new bed at Marshall's. He LOVES it.)

He even tries to get into the shower with me. Everywhere I go, Bo goes.

I also noticed right away, he "nervous eats". As of his last vet visit, I was advised to put him on a diet- he weighed 14lbs.

So, to wrap it up, I got Miss Cinnamon for 2 reasons , Cherry's 16th birthday present and I hoped introducing a cat companion for Bo might be healthy.

We're continuing with the slow introduction, but we are letting them try 30 minutes to 1 hour together at night. Around 8 9 PM.

Tonight, I put Bo's favorite Cat videos with the birds, ducks, and squirrels on. I thought Maybe something they can do together would be ok and plus having them together in the room with us and our calm energy might help.

Cinnamon loafed most of the time. Twice they bumped noses, but that was it.

Anyway, I appreciate all the suggestions. I promise Cherry is it's all gonna be okay. 😉😺🤎

(I hope I didn't embarrass you by posting on your thread, but I know this means a LOT to you and how much you love Bo. I also know how long you dreamed of having your Torti. It's going to be ok. 🙋🐈 We got this.)

FenixFlair

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi, I'm Cherry's Mom. 🙋
I just saw this pop up on my phone and wasn't aware she was asking for help.

Yes, I feel badly for her. She was in tears this afternoon because she feels guilty for our 1st cat, "Bobo".

But, I'm trying to relieve her a little. It's not quite as bad as she thinks it is.

Fortunately, there's absolutely no fighting, both cats ARE curious and interested in each other..., The new little cat, "Cinnamon" has tried to initiate play and rubs, but Bobo acts a bit stand offish.

My understanding for Bobo is he didn't come from a good place. We adopted him from the local shelter last month around the 2nd week of July. He had been there for about a month.

From his behavior, he doesn't seem to interact with ANY animals in our neighborhood... Cat or dog. He loves going outside, but if the local stray Tom, "Oliver" comes around, or anything he doesn't like, he heads to the roof.

I've noticed lately, he's not been going to the roof lately. (So, good news)

But, from the beginning, Bo was exceptionally clingy. He sleeps in my arm, (until last week. I bought him a new bed at Marshall's. He LOVES it.)

He even tries to get into the shower with me. Everywhere I go, Bo goes.

I also noticed right away, he "nervous eats". As of his last vet visit, I was advised to put him on a diet- he weighed 14lbs.

So, to wrap it up, I got Miss Cinnamon for 2 reasons , Cherry's 16th birthday present and I hoped introducing a cat companion for Bo might be healthy.

We're continuing with the slow introduction, but we are letting them try 30 minutes to 1 hour together at night. Around 8 9 PM.

Tonight, I put Bo's favorite Cat videos with the birds, ducks, and squirrels on. I thought Maybe something they can do together would be ok and plus having them together in the room with us and our calm energy might help.

Cinnamon loafed most of the time. Twice they bumped noses, but that was it.

Anyway, I appreciate all the suggestions. I promise Cherry is it's all gonna be okay. 😉😺🤎

(I hope I didn't embarrass you by posting on your thread, but I know this means a LOT to you and how much you love Bo. I also know how long you dreamed of having your Torti. It's going to be ok. 🙋🐈 We got this.)

Attachments