Old Cat Not Adapting To New Kitten

yddeh

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Well, it’s been 4 or 5 weeks since i brought my savannah kitten home. He has taken to me and is very doglike, sometimes a bit of a terror lol but he’s a sweet little guy. he is approximately 21 weeks old, my manx is 10 years old.

At first i thought she was coming around. they could be in the same room together, and i could leave them unattended without issue. She was tolerating him i think because she knows he’s a baby. He keeps trying to get close and play, she would hiss and bop him once or twice, then he would back up and hunker down. She would growl but no aggression. I figured this was normal and was positive as no actually aggression occurred.

Now my manx, her favourite hiding place is in my office, on my desk behind my computer monitor. Not usual at all to find her napping back there. She would come out and be around us. However i’m a bit concerned in that this weekend, she’s barely come out at all, and instead of going to her hiding place she’s been staying on the floor under my desk, which is unusual. because of this i’m concerned that A. she’s staying under there because she’s hasn’t been eating and is too weak to jump up there? and B. she’s depressed.

Now, she doesn’t show any sign of not eating, she’s plump, ect. But i havnt seen her eat or drink since i brought him home but i figured she was just doing so at night, as their food dishes were being used. Maybe i’m over worrying, but how she’s being this weekend just makes me think she’s depressed and maybe not eating.

it could be im also applying too much human thought to this and she’s just plain feeling reclusive. But i’m not sure to get her to come around to my savannah short of just giving them more time, as i’ve read it can take 8 to 12 months for cats to at least get fully used to eachother.

anyway sorry if this post is a ramble, my thoughts are literally just pouring into my words here.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi! With the not eating possibility and the unusual hiding situation, in my opinion I would take her in to the vet, just to make sure about what is going on.

To help both you and the vet to know for certain, can you put some food out specifically for her in a place where only she would be eating it?

Also, can you try some music - there's an app called Relax My Cat, and also there's kusc.org and MusicForCats.com. Music can make quite a difference in helping cats to be more calm.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

yddeh

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi! With the not eating possibility and the unusual hiding situation, in my opinion I would take her in to the vet, just to make sure about what is going on.

To help both you and the vet to know for certain, can you put some food out specifically for her in a place where only she would be eating it?

Also, can you try some music - there's an app called Relax My Cat, and also there's kusc.org and MusicForCats.com. Music can make quite a difference in helping cats to be more calm.
i was able to lure her out with treats, luckily. she ate them willingly enough and let me pick her up. i have her some love, but she saw my little guy and growled. i gave her some cuddles and even got her to purr a bit. after about half an hour she wanted to go as my kitten had walked by a few times and she growled again. So i put her on her favourite perch and gave her some treats, and so far she’s stayed in the room but hasn’t moved. Right now my kitten is on me, cat napping. i’m hoping if she stays in the room while it’s calm it can help?

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
It may help her a little. As you are doing, try and keep the kitten elsewhere.
I really do think she needs to be seen by a vet.

yddeh

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Furballsmom Furballsmom i agree, that thought had occurred to me as well.

i’m going to see about arranging a hoisecall for wednesday evening hopefully if not tomorrow night.

yddeh

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
so update already

i noticed when she was trying to get away from my kitten that she’s limping on her back leg. i took a look and couldn’t find any obvious injury. i called the vet back to see if i could possibly bump the appointment to today, however after talking me through checking her for a few things, they say it doesn’t sound like she’s critical, just uncomfortable, but if she gets worse to take her to the animal hospital.

i’ve made her comfortable and am keeping An eye on her. i’m going to take an extended lunch tomorrow and come home to meet the vet.

hopefully nothing serious. Trying to stay calm but feeling a lot of anxiety

meowpassion

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I think you must consult a vet, as appearance of a new member might be stressful for a cat, and an animal might refuse eating in such case.

yddeh

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
on a lighter note, it’s almost as if this guy knows i’m feeling scared... he’s suddenly being very sweet and cuddly and normally he’s like a squirrel who’s discovered caffeine

Attachments

yddeh

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
well, an update. turns out A. my manx is an old girl, and B. she had a dislocated kneecap which makes her prone to arthritis. The vet thinks she had an arthritic flare up as the weather was really bad yesterday, and then today she’s almost fine again. Other than this she’s mostly healthy for an older kitty and i’m creating drama for no reason lol.

so will be changing her diet a bit, and giving her space on her grumpy arthritis days