Ok To Let Stray Cat Out After 1 Week?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

DET_CAT_DAD

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Poor lonesome little kitty :( What a sweetie:catrub:
I know. I feel horrible that she's out there. I have posted to a few missing pet sites with no luck in finding an owner since Tuesday night. I have Monday off so I'm going to clean out my other guest room which was being used as storage and possibly try to trap her this week. It's been in the low 30s over here the last few nights. I don't want her out there much longer.

dustydiamond1

Minion to Gypsy since October 2016
Top Cat
Purraise
I know. I feel horrible that she's out there. I have posted to a few missing pet sites with no luck in finding an owner since Tuesday night. I have Monday off so I'm going to clean out my other guest room which was being used as storage and possibly try to trap her this week. It's been in the low 30s over here the last few nights. I don't want her out there much longer.
:clap::salam::clap2::goldstar::vibes::grouphug::hangin::grouphug2::hearthrob::redheartpump: :bouquet::cheerleader::vibes::goodluck::coldcat::cold: :petcat::touched:

Last edited:

Avery

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I also live in a cold climate (snowing a bit now as I write this!) so I totally understand being worried about Maver being outside. I took care of a semi-feral cat over the course of three winters (and a stray cat who showed up the last year) but it is so much easier if you can get them inside, where my two are now, still in their safe room but warm and dry.

As far as finding an owner for Maver, do you have a local animal shelter or SPCA? The one in my area has a "lost and found" book -- kind of low-tech and you have to actually visit them, but lots of people think of these places first when they think of anything pet-related.

How is Herman doing? I guess tomorrow is the big day, right?! I hope he is easier to get to the vet for his procedure than he was previously! No more cardboard carriers for Herman! Let us know how things go!

DET_CAT_DAD

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I also live in a cold climate (snowing a bit now as I write this!) so I totally understand being worried about Maver being outside. I took care of a semi-feral cat over the course of three winters (and a stray cat who showed up the last year) but it is so much easier if you can get them inside, where my two are now, still in their safe room but warm and dry.

As far as finding an owner for Maver, do you have a local animal shelter or SPCA? The one in my area has a "lost and found" book -- kind of low-tech and you have to actually visit them, but lots of people think of these places first when they think of anything pet-related.

How is Herman doing? I guess tomorrow is the big day, right?! I hope he is easier to get to the vet for his procedure than he was previously! No more cardboard carriers for Herman! Let us know how things go!
I live in Metro Detroit so there are lots of shelters around. It is a suburban jungle. I've contacted a few shelters though without any luck. I'm not sending her to a shelter that euthanizes pets so that does limit things. A lot of the good ones are overwhelmed for whatever reason at the moment. My best bet might be to just trap her and foster her until I can find a forever home (or a shelter) but that would be the last resort.

We have a very popular local pet lost and found FB page. Herman's post was shared 170 times and I received many responses of mistaken identity. Unfortunately, Maver's has only been shared less than 10 times. I don't know why because I think she's equally as adorable as Herman. It may be because I don't have as good of photos of her.

Herman is doing well. I am bringing him to the vet in a huge pet carrier tomorrow. I don't care how ridiculous it looks. LOL.

Kflowers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
People may just need time to catch up on their FBing. I expect a lot of people with little time have been focused on the news. That should get better any minute now.

Of course you're keeping her, Herman wants a cute little friend.:biggrin:

Avery

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Oh my, your cats are gorgeous! Like cat models! You are doing a great job trying to find the owners but it does look like Herman is yours now! I'll bet once you get a really good photo of Maver, someone will either recognize her as theirs or you will find someone to give her a wonderful home. Thanks for caring.

DET_CAT_DAD

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
IMG_0259.JPG
Oh my, your cats are gorgeous! Like cat models! You are doing a great job trying to find the owners but it does look like Herman is yours now! I'll bet once you get a really good photo of Maver, someone will either recognize her as theirs or you will find someone to give her a wonderful home. Thanks for caring.
Herman is probably ours now. I'm hopeful he will relax once he's neutered. I'm also hoping Maver has an owner but I'm betting she was dumped. It happens a lot here.

Attachments

DET_CAT_DAD

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
IMG_0301.JPG
Herman did great at the vet and is back home resting. My friend, who is our vet, said he had the biggest cat balls she's ever seen. LOL.

Maver is back again. Sixth night out of seven that I have seen her. She will let me get within about 10 feet of her. She acts just like Herman did when he was outside. It's hard to tell if she is a stray or feral but I have to guess someone dumped her.

DET_CAT_DAD

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I've decided I'm going to build one or two outdoor cat shelters out of plastic totes this weekend for Maver. It has been quite the balancing act trying to deal with the four cats I have in here right now. I'm still not completely positive if Maver is a stray or feral and I don't want to bring her inside if she is feral. And Herman needs to go back to the vet in a week or two to get one more flea treatment before he gets to meet the other cats. I'm going to post some flyers to attempt to find Maver's owners this week and keep posting about her online. She has been back every night for about 10 days now and we've had some crappy weather so I hope some jerk owner isn't letting her out.

Avery

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Glad to hear Herman did well at the vets. And I assume your trip there was uneventful, unlike the cardboard box fiasco! How wonderful to have a friend who is a vet! I have a few lawyers in my immediate family, but I REALLY could use a vet, even a vet tech! Keep us posted about Maver. You are really doing your best with her and whatever happens, she will have a better winter with your help.

DET_CAT_DAD

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
IMG_0226.JPG
My parents are both attorneys. LOL.

Herman is still doing well. We've let him out a few times for a little bit to explore. I'll probably let him out tomorrow when the Lions are on because they won't be worth watching. He wants pets, pets and more pets when I go in there to hang out with him. He has been a little aggressive at times (swiping and trying to bite) but he's younger than my other cats and he has been outside for at least a year. I just hope he doesn't act like that with the other ones once he meets them face to face.

As for Maver, I was able to get some better quality photos of her tonight with my good camera. I'm going to try to get some tomorrow night too and post some flyers around here. I can't tell if she is actually a she but she looks either heavier or pregnant. I don't have the knowledge yet to tell the difference. If she's pregnant, that really complicates things and she will have to come inside and SOON, no matter what. If she's just heavier, I really hope she has a home and they feed her well.

DET_CAT_DAD

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
IMG_0588.JPG
IMG_0589.JPG
IMG_0590.JPG
IMG_0591.JPG
Maver continues to come by, so that is pawsitive news. She eats a lot and then leaves. I still can't get very close. The outdoor cat house should be done this week. It was a little more work than I bargained for.

DET_CAT_DAD

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Your self-control is amazing! Maver doesn't know how lucky she is you haven't chased her down the street with intent to cuddle.
She is very cute. I haven't been able to find an owner either, which really sucks. I've tried to work on her the last few nights but she is not feeling it and bolts if I go out onto the porch from behind the door. I guess the good news is she keeps coming back every night. That is the same thing Herman did at first as well. I will keep trying and at least she'll have an outdoor cat shelter for now.