OK not Cats but DOGS!

fluffy'smom

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I live inMaple Ridge,BC Canada.
We have a vicious dog living in our apartment block. He has snapped at countless children knoocked people down. The owner refuses to put a muzzle on him and uses vulugar language when asked about this dog.'
Being the mother of a 4 year old child i am concerned that she will be attacked,
I called the SPCA (along with many other calls),the SPCA just paid a visit and the owner lied about it all.
What can we do? Do we have to wait until this dog attacks?

mark kumpf

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally posted by Fluffy'sMom
I live inMaple Ridge,BC Canada.
We have a vicious dog living in our apartment block. He has snapped at countless children knoocked people down. The owner refuses to put a muzzle on him and uses vulugar language when asked about this dog.'
Being the mother of a 4 year old child i am concerned that she will be attacked,
I called the SPCA (along with many other calls),the SPCA just paid a visit and the owner lied about it all.
What can we do? Do we have to wait until this dog attacks?
1st. Make sure the owner is "legally" aware. Send a letter two ways, certified (sign for it) and regular post. I am reasonably sure that the Canadian post has a presumption of delivery similar to the US in that a letter sent to an address is expected to make it there. In this letter detail the animals vicious behavior, including a description of the dog and the dates/times/actions observed. You must be polite and factual. No bad language, no threats other than to pursue the appropriate legal action. This makes the owner unable to claim that they didn't know about the dogs tendencies in case it does seriously injure someone resulting in legal action. Copy the SPCA and the local law enforcement/animal control agency with the letter. By the way, you cannot SLANDER a dog. Make sure you do not say evil things about the owner though!

Next, check with your local tax assessor or real estate registry to determine if the dog owner owns or rents their residence. If they own it and have a mortgage, they should have mortgage insurance and a bank lender. With a little work, you can usually find out who both are. Send them a copy of the letter. Homeowner's insurance agents hate bad dogs and will drop customers that have them unless they provide proof that the dog is moved on to another existence. If they rent, find out who the owner is and send them a copy of the letter.

---> Please understand, this is meant to SOLVE the problem permanently and finally. Don't start this unless you intend to follow through and are able to deal with the consequence that the animal may be euthanized. <---

Carry a disposable camera with you when you are out and expect to encounter the dog. Never hurts. Everytime the dog acts aggressively, report it to everyone. Police, SPCA, etc. Make sure you are well spoken, have the facts, dates and times correct. If you can get a picture of the dog, make your own "Beware of the Dog" signs with his picture featured prominently on the poster. "Warning, the dog pictured here has acted in an aggressive manner towards children. Stay away from this dog!" Posting the address and name of the owner should not violate any of your privacy laws - nothing is considered confidential with animals.

Keep a record (start a notebook) of the proceedings and log each event, dates letters are sent, times of phonecalls, and pretty much anything else that goes with the dog. If this ends up as a court issue, your case will be well documented and that much more likely to be a winner.

Why all the letters? While I am not the litigious type, some events deserve just and fair compensation. Dog bites traditionally are hard to win if the owner can reasonably claim that they were unaware of the dog's demeanor. With the "Cujo isn't cuddly campaign" above, not only will that be impossible to claim but the person may get rid of the dog to avoid the hassle. Basically, this is a public relations ad campaign designed to get rid of the problem. Your local media may even get involved if the signs and stuff make it to their attention.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

fluffy'smom

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Ok well we are in a apartment so they defnitely rent. Also the dogs owner does not live here,though the dog is here 90% of the time (his girlfriend lives here). The events that have been happening are to various people,mostly friends of mine so it makes it harder for me to give dates,times etc..I know if i send a letter that this guy will act in violence. If a picture is put up here he will flip and make our life miserable. I'm just scared for my childs safety. I KNOW its a matter of time before this dog attacks somebody and does serious damage. The owner won't even take him down the hall if a tenant is standing there! The landlords have been called (this is BC Housing BTW) and they don't seem to care YET get this! A lady in here has a cat on the main floor,this cat goes outside,well i guess this cat "visited" other tenants. She was told either keep the cat inside or get rid of it. Yet they won't do anything about a vicious animal??

eburgess

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'd call a lawyer and talk to the police. try to get the dog on tape. but sadly, I think you're going to have to wait until the dog does something for anything to get done

catsknowme

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It's been almost a year since your first post & I was wondering about the outcome. I hope that you were able to take Mr. Kumpf's advice. Since you had concerns about the vicious nature of the dog's owner, you might prepare yourself by getting some advice on dealing with bullies (who tend to dislike being pointed out), and if you have any qualms about your judgment on the dog, please visit the website www.dogsdeservebetter.com, to reinforce what good dog behavior & responsible dog ownership are . Maybe you could download the info. to share with your neighbors, so they are more likely to become involved. Also, a group has more clout with the county supervisors, SPCA, law enforcement, etc. and you are being a responsible community member - YOU ARE PROTECTING THE CHILDREN IN YOUR COMPLEX, AND THE REST OF THE PUBLIC AS WELL! A bite in the face can cause not only disfigurement, the facial nerves & muscles can be damaged, causing permanent speech disability, sight impairment, etc. That can seriously damage, if not ruin, a teenager's social life! I know, my daughter has severe speech disorders from brain damage (not from dog bite, but encephalitis), and her cat is her best and only friend, so please, tell your neighbors, for me, do whatever you can to protect your children from this preventable danger. If the dog's owner confronts you, you will need to stand up & remind him that you can & will obtain a protective order for yourself & will press charges if necessary - most thugs do mind going to jail! I know, my husband is a public defender, and even the most obnoxious clients behave themselves when they know that they'll go to the slammer (just make sure the dog's owner isn't high or drunk, if possible). Please keep us posted! Susan