OK, I've got a strange dilemma

hopehacker

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
My 8 year old cat Shane has always been afraid of strangers, and he considers EVERYONE except me to be a stranger. So, whenever anyone comes to visit, no matter how many times they've been here, he runs and hides from them, and will not come out until they have gone. Now, mind you, my Rainbow Bridge boy, Snoopy loved everyone and greeted everyone with joy.

Anyway, here's the big problem. When I got Simba, he started running and hiding, just like Shane. It was the old Monkey see, Monkey Do, thing. He didn't follow Snoopy's example, he followed Shane's. So, from then on, when ever anyone came to my house, Shane and Simba would run off and hide, until they left.

After Snoopy passed on, I got SunLee, and now she's copying Shane and Simba. I know it's not Simba or SunLee's normal way, but they've learned it from each other. Is there anything I can do, to make these cats quit running and hiding from everyone who comes to visit me? I'm pretty sure Simba is pretty much locked into that behaviour by now, since he's been copying Shane for almost 2 years, but SunLee has only been here for a couple of months. I know they are all copying each other, because I watched SunLee's reaction the first time someone came to my door, and she saw Simba and Shane take off running, and she followed them. Now, she runs and hides right along with them. So, now I have 3 cats that will have absolutely nothing to do with anyone who comes to visit me. They all 3 stay in hiding, until the person or people leave.

a_loveless_gem

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Aah...this one may be more easy to solve than you realise.

For SunLee and Simba, they were new cats in a new environment so really the smartest thing is to copy what the other residents cats do. And it sure does seem a lot safer to hide than to stick around when something changes in an unfamiliar environment.

To encourage interaction between your visitors and your cats, (provided your visitors are willing!
), give them a little of their favourite treats to give to your cats. Though let your cats do all the approaching, don't try to coax them out.

Things like fragrant catnip, a favourite nibble or two, favourite toy etc.

Oh, and above all, remain calm when they hide, don't even make note of it. Just let them run off and don't call out to them.

gayef

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
If there is one thing most Siamese (and honestly most cats in general) cannot seem to stand, it is being ignored. So ignore them. Let them run away, let them hide. Don't call them or try to coax them to come out. My guess is that curiousity will at some point get the better of them and they will come out to investigate the visitors to make 100% absolutely certain they have no treats for them. *grin*

I liked a_loveless_gem's response a lot. If your babies grow accustomed to receiving treats when you have visitors, they might choose to be a bit more social towards them.

elizwithcat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I know exactly what you mean. My Scaredy cat tought my other cat to hide when anyone comes over, even though I got the other cat first. Before I got Scaredy, my first cat wouldn't hide but now he keeps Scaredy company under the bed. I don't think anything can be done in my case, though, cause I think poor Scaredy got some sort of mental illness going on.

simmyandnunny

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I agree with a loveless gem. And while you would prefer they spend time with company, (though, i tend to get embarassed when Simmy rubs all over the cable guy, lol) it's really best to leave it up to them. Like Loveless gem said, not forcing them, but trying to encourage them to come out is best. Especially if it's a guest that comes over on a semi regular basis.

Elizwithcat, I'm sorry that it bumbs you out so bad. I think it's sweet of your other cat to look after Scaredy that way. Is Scaredy the one who has to take all the medication? Or am I mixing my cat stories up?

elizwithcat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by SimmyandNunny

I agree with a loveless gem. And while you would prefer they spend time with company, (though, i tend to get embarassed when Simmy rubs all over the cable guy, lol) it's really best to leave it up to them. Like Loveless gem said, not forcing them, but trying to encourage them to come out is best. Especially if it's a guest that comes over on a semi regular basis.

Elizwithcat, I'm sorry that it bumbs you out so bad. I think it's sweet of your other cat to look after Scaredy that way. Is Scaredy the one who has to take all the medication? Or am I mixing my cat stories up?
Yep, the Scaredy is the one who has to be medicated. He made himself sick because I had someone staying over for a week, and Scaredy wouldn't come over from under the bed, and now he got bladder problems because of being so stressed out just cause somebody stayed over. I never had a cat like that, I think he is a bit off in the head...

simmyandnunny

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by elizwithcat

Yep, the Scaredy is the one who has to be medicated. He made himself sick because I had someone staying over for a week, and Scaredy wouldn't come over from under the bed, and now he got bladder problems because of being so stressed out just cause somebody stayed over. I never had a cat like that, I think he is a bit off in the head...
Scaredy isn't as off as you might think. Cat's can be extremely sensitive to the littlest thing. Changing their brand of litter, having an addition to the family, changing your work schedule from say, day shift to night shift can upset them and stress them out pretty bad. Some cats are more sensitive than others as you can tell.

I'll do some research on what you might be able to do for Scaredy. Poor thing. In the mean time, just be patient and loving toward her. I feel for you both.

simmyandnunny

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Elizwithcat, I found an article that might make you feel a bit better about Scardey.

http://www.catsplay.com/thedailycat/...y/anxiety.html

Check it out, it's not terribly long or anything. Let me know what you think.

*edited* I liked the first sentence in that article, "Not call cats lie contented across the back of an overstuffed sofa, selectively oblivious to housemates and visitors."

Simply put and totally factual.

bigorangemenace

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
hah! Elliot is timid of men, and timid if you are wearing a hat, but is ABSOLUTELY TERRIFIED if a man wearing a hat comes into the house. Its because my mom's boyfriend doesn tlike cats, and he is the only male contact elliot really has... and he wears hats. I dont have that problem with aerowyn though, mostly because for some reason my mom's boyfriend likes her? Aerowyn will go up to any person to be petted, but elliot only likes women. Yep.. my cat is afraid of hats. But only if people are wearing them? Its odd! Cats are so funny! I think all cats except the extremely overloveydovey human loving kitties are at least a bit afraid of strangers. Aerowyn will be a bit cautious and watch a new person for a while, but in a minute or two she will be on their lap wanting to be petted. Your cats will always be afraid of strangers when they first come in, but hopefully by using the advice people on here gave you, you can help them to be a bit nicer to the frequent visitors
Elliot still runs when my mom's boyfriend comes over.. and he comes like every day almost.