ok a little vent from the breeder side..

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

scamperfarms

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by siameseohio

After she started questioning and haggling about the price, I hope you didn't waste too much time going back and forth with her. I'd try to save yourself from future frustration by not even dealing with people like that after they start insinuating that your obviously very far price isn't far.
Nope i didnt spend to much time on it. just enough time to stand my point and give her ideas...Ie: getting her next cat from the local shelter.

abymummy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I feel for you! With me being the only Aby breeder in this neck of the woods all sorts of "people" come crawling out of the woodworks! I had one guy come to me for a studding arrangement and when I asked for his girls pedigree, he was more then PO'd that I would question his integrity! What, I can't ensure bloodlines??

The only kitten I have sold under US$300 thus far was for a pet q Aby with calcification issues and it is in our agreement that the cost of the operation, should the owner desire to do it, will be shared between us. The boy went pre-neutered and is now king of the house!

Like you scamper farms, my kittens can stay with me. I really don't get people who don't do their research into a breed and at least find out what the average prices are for specific breeds!

celestialrags

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Abymummy

I feel for you! With me being the only Aby breeder in this neck of the woods all sorts of "people" come crawling out of the woodworks! I had one guy come to me for a studding arrangement and when I asked for his girls pedigree, he was more then PO'd that I would question his integrity! What, I can't ensure bloodlines??

The only kitten I have sold under US$300 thus far was for a pet q Aby with calcification issues and it is in our agreement that the cost of the operation, should the owner desire to do it, will be shared between us. The boy went pre-neutered and is now king of the house!

Like you scamper farms, my kittens can stay with me. I really don't get people who don't do their research into a breed and at least find out what the average prices are for specific breeds!
I had to hire a stud for my first two litters (I have my own now) I was a little concerned when she didn't ask for my proof of vet papers, ect. She made sure on the phone and before I left my queen that I had her TICA reg. She had agreed to breed another ladies cat, she met her half way and put the cat which was in a carrier in the car. when she got home and saw it she was shocked to find it was no more then a ragdoll mix at best. So of coarse she wouldn't let her male near it and made her come get it. The lady was very upsett and it was a big deal, the woman even threatened to report her if she did breed her cat. So she just over looked the vet work and was not going to let us in the door til she saw papers! I showed her those and shot records and made her show hers as well. But, it did worry me she wasn't asking to see my vets records. (at first)

abymummy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
In my particular case, I knew the female was properly vetted, I had seen the cat in a show before and I knew the attending vet, so that was of no particular concern of mine. What I did worry about was bloodlines, really. My cats are CFA registered and the female was from Australia. I did not want my boy to be mated with the wrong lines and wanted to do some research to see if the joining of lines would produce sound kittens!

scamperfarms

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Abymummy

I agree people do need to research what the breeds are going for in their area. i swear i have found the selling end of the breeding of cats more aggrivateing than selling horses. and you get alot of tire kicking, and such with them too. argh.

I dont mind having the babies around. when their home comes their home comes. I am pretty excited about my two boys roger and mark though, they have been purchased since they were 2 weeks old, but their momma wanted me to bring them personally instead of shipping. so we will be doing that next month

glamourpuss

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Well how insulting of that lady to attempt to haggle the price with you. What did she think she was buying, a used car???!!
Just unbelievable. It's that "can i get something for nothing" attitude, isn't it. It seems from your first post that things were going ok with her until the price was mentioned, and you'd been communicating with her for some time before that... Did she know what the price was the whole time, and then started to haggle closer to the point of sale? If so, what a complete timewaster.

scamperfarms

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by GlamourPuss

Well how insulting of that lady to attempt to haggle the price with you. What did she think she was buying, a used car???!!
Just unbelievable. It's that "can i get something for nothing" attitude, isn't it. It seems from your first post that things were going ok with her until the price was mentioned, and you'd been communicating with her for some time before that... Did she know what the price was the whole time, and then started to haggle closer to the point of sale? If so, what a complete timewaster.
oh yes she was well aware of the price. i told her upfront in the first contact what i was asking. period.

yes alot of people seem to have that tude latetly. I was with a friend when she was showing her horse who is forsale recently.

This is an extremely well bred Arabian gelding, he is totally bombproof anyone can ride him, ANYONE..he beautiful sweet, and well behaved..fully registered..ect..

lady who came out had the gaul to say "oh well i can go to a sale and get a horse for $100"

(my friend is asking $1,500 GREAT for a BOMB proof Arab of his calibur)

I couldnt bite my words, and told her exactly what she would get at that darn sale..for her $100...

celestialrags

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by ScamperFarms

oh yes she was well aware of the price. i told her upfront in the first contact what i was asking. period.

yes alot of people seem to have that tude latetly. I was with a friend when she was showing her horse who is forsale recently.

This is an extremely well bred Arabian gelding, he is totally bombproof anyone can ride him, ANYONE..he beautiful sweet, and well behaved..fully registered..ect..

lady who came out had the gaul to say "oh well i can go to a sale and get a horse for $100"

(my friend is asking $1,500 GREAT for a BOMB proof Arab of his calibur)

I couldnt bite my words, and told her exactly what she would get at that darn sale..for her $100...
I can't hold my tongue either, I would have to say, go where your aunt did and get a kitten, or go to your sale for your 100 horse, you are going to get what you pay for. If you are paying $100 for a HORSE, be prepared, that's what you will get a $100 horse, LOL!
When I sold my horse, I sold him CHEAP! I wasn't interested in money, only finding some one to love him and take care of him. She knew he had feet problems that I have been working on for 2 yeasr, ect. He was also due for shots, I explained to her that, and he needed a bit more work. She sent me a nasty email to tell me his feet hadn't been done in YEARs
(all four were BAD when I got him, I hadn't gotten one back to what it should have been.) But, she kept telling me how much money shots, ect cost her, well DUH! That's why he was so cheap, I would have asked more if I had it done, I just had his feet done and new shoes put on. I finally asked her if she thought she was getting a perfect reg TB with out any problems and bomb proof for 500 ( I paid 700 and put 2 years of work into him) If you want a perfect (as if) horse it costs. I was completely upfront with her, she knew where I got him from and what I went through, if only I could have seen through her, before I sold him to her
Any way, I can't stand people like that!

scamperfarms

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by celestialrags

I can't hold my tongue either, I would have to say, go where your aunt did and get a kitten, or go to your sale for your 100 horse, you are going to get what you pay for. If you are paying $100 for a HORSE, be prepared, that's what you will get a $100 horse, LOL!
When I sold my horse, I sold him CHEAP! I wasn't interested in money, only finding some one to love him and take care of him. She knew he had feet problems that I have been working on for 2 yeasr, ect. He was also due for shots, I explained to her that, and he needed a bit more work. She sent me a nasty email to tell me his feet hadn't been done in YEARs
(all four were BAD when I got him, I hadn't gotten one back to what it should have been.) But, she kept telling me how much money shots, ect cost her, well DUH! That's why he was so cheap, I would have asked more if I had it done, I just had his feet done and new shoes put on. I finally asked her if she thought she was getting a perfect reg TB with out any problems and bomb proof for 500 ( I paid 700 and put 2 years of work into him) If you want a perfect (as if) horse it costs. I was completely upfront with her, she knew where I got him from and what I went through, if only I could have seen through her, before I sold him to her
Any way, I can't stand people like that!
NARG nor can I! I wanted to throttle her.. yes the horse market is down..but yes you go to a sale barn your going to get a $100 horse..period.

I paid $500 for my vixen, and she had alot of issues, horrible feet. abused. 150lbs under weight..ect ect. but i expected all of that for what i paid..and after seeing the owners. Argh.

people make me mad..makes me wanna go all renn style on them with a lance!

siameseohio

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
o.k., don't want to get to terribly far off the initial conversation, but I know very very little about horses. But I have to say, I didn't think you could get a horse for $100.00! And because I know so very little about horses, this is just me, but I'd be afraid to get a horse for $100.00! It just seems as though something would have to be really wrong with it. I always thought horses cost at least a couple thousand. o.k. I'm done. sorry.

reddicequeen

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
For my two cents, I know around here...getting a cat from the shelters cost you at least $150...some of the *pedigreed* cats in rescue are even more. I looked at shelter cats...I was concerned about all the problems people had with their rescue cats. Thats why I decided on going through a breeder. I always had dogs from a breeder. There seems to be alot of people that actually get angry that you are not going to the shelters. My hats off to anyone who fosters or rescues...but I would never criticize a persons choices in matters like this. YOu must choose who you plan on living with for the next 15 to 20 years.
Haggling over the price like...be happy your baby didnt go there....she probably would have fed her table scraps!!