Oh We're Pregnant - First Time Kitty Mummy

Quietcatmummy

Sassy
Kitten
Purraise
Hi All,

I'm from 'across the pond' in England so I hope it is Ok to post on your site.

The site(s) we have here are so judgemental and unhelpful and generally full of people telling you off and giving you verbal I was reluctant to join. Your site seems so much more friendly and welcoming and although we didn't plan for our Sassy to get pregnant she is .

We took our 'lil lady to the vets two days ago but they couldn't even give us an approximation of the number of kittens because 'she was stressed' and 'holding her abdominal muscles'. To be honest, given they thought she was pregnant when we first went to get her spayed, and it turned out she needed a poo, I'm wondering if they qualified as a vet or got their doctorate from a Keloggs packet! Unfortunately we live 'in the sticks' so it's them or no-one!

Sassy (aka Mum) is happy and healthy though.

I know she is a minimum of 42 days pregnant. She has definitely not been out since 27th August.

She did however make two escapes before that but I cannot, for the life of me, remember the dates.

So, finally, if you haven't got bored and fallen asleep(!) my question is this: is she likely to birth anytime soon? I'm so scared to leave her I'm sleeping on the sofa every night and driving hubby mad! He's even taken turns to keep an eye on her. Afraid she'll go into labour and we will be upstairs asleep and won't be there for her!

I can clearly feel two, oblong shapes in her lower pelvis. I presume these are kittens. She isn't massive so even the vet thinks small litter. I can't feel them moving so I presume she is more than two weeks away from birthing?

No signs yet of 'nesting' although she has a number of boxes around, hates the dog (who she usually snuggles). She does spend time in these spots. A sign?

Loves me! Won't leave my side .. A sign?

Still eating!

Huge nipples - no colostrum yet.

Grrrr ... I've had four kids and don't think I was this nervous over any of them!

Thanks all ...

verna davies

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Hi and welcome to the site. I'm from the same side of the pond as you and had the same experience on UK sites, abrupt and sometimes condescending. You wont find that here, everyone is helpful and friendly.
As far as your questions regarding your kitty, I've no idea but lots of members will help you. I just wanted to say hello.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Quietcatmummy

Sassy
Kitten
Purraise
Hi and welcome to the site. I'm from the same side of the pond as you and had the same experience on UK sites, abrupt and sometimes condescending. You wont find that here, everyone is helpful and friendly.
As far as your questions regarding your kitty, I've no idea but lots of members will help you. I just wanted to say hello.
Hiya! Thank you for your reply ... Sending love

golondrina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
A hearty welcome to TCS Quietcatmumy. Is Sassy your cat's name or are you telling us that she is sassy?:) The lenth of a cat's pregnancy is usually between 65 and 73 days, so if Sassy is 42 days pregnant she has still some time before delivery. In the meantime we have a "Pregnant Cats and Kitten Care" forum you may find helpful. But please don't hesitate to ask questions if you have any. Our advisors and experienced members will be happy to help.

Loving you and wanting to be with you all the time is a normal behaviour for a pregnant kitten but it doesn't necessarily mean that she is close to delivering the little ones.

Please keep in touch and let us see some photos when you can.

Quietcatmummy

Sassy
Kitten
Purraise
Hi Furballsmom ... Thank you so much for your reply. I think Sassy's waters have just broken 17.30 GMT (all over my new bathroom floor ). Doesn't smell like cat wee and is clear. She's walking funny and keeps crawling along the floor on her belly with her ass in the air. Think this may be it ... Her tummy was hard then soft so thinking contractions - she's also mewing lots. Got vet number in hand and guess it may be a long night

Quietcatmummy

Sassy
Kitten
Purraise
Hi all ... False alarm! Thank you to my little'un ... She admitted she'd had 'an accident' in the bathroom! What a twit I feel now! Saw the vet today, everything still in there! Sassy is, well, being Sassy (in all senses of the word!). My vet, I think, loves me for being an over-protective, over-anxious idiot! Think I've paid for his Christmas this year! Will keep you informed and thank you for supporting us xxxx