Oh No! Licked flea medicine

ashleynicole

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Okay, I had finished putting Marlees flea treatment on and let her go, b/c she usually doesn't bother it. Well she came back to my room a few minutes later making weird faces and licking her lips.....she had taken a few licks of her medicine. I got a syringe and force fed her some water to try and wash out her mouth. Is this all I need to do, or is there any bad side effects I need to watch for? I'm a little worried. I have her locked inmy bedroom with me so I can watch her the rest of the night.

emb_78

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by AshleyNicole

Okay, I had finished putting Marlees flea treatment on and let her go, b/c she usually doesn't bother it. Well she came back to my room a few minutes later making weird faces and licking her lips.....she had taken a few licks of her medicine. I got a syringe and force fed her some water to try and wash out her mouth. Is this all I need to do, or is there any bad side effects I need to watch for? I'm a little worried. I have her locked inmy bedroom with me so I can watch her the rest of the night.
I don't know what kind it is, but if it is frontline, The worst I have seen is vomiting or diarrhea. That is why to have to get it right behind the neck. I'm sure your baby will be fine. She may even foam from the mouth!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

ashleynicole

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Its Advantage. She seems okay, just making some weird faces right now. Yeah, I guess I just did a little too far down....every little bit I'm just gonna give her some more water and just keep an eye on her for now. Thanks!

emb_78

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by AshleyNicole

Its Advantage. She seems okay, just making some weird faces right now. Yeah, I guess I just did a little too far down....every little bit I'm just gonna give her some more water and just keep an eye on her for now. Thanks!
Don't worry, she should be fine! Just give her some good loving!!

jane_vernon

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Advantage has a bitter taste to it - It should say on the pack somewhere - It won't harm them, just the bitter taste to stop them from licking it!!!

touro1979

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Yea, dont worry, this happened when I first put it on Max. it rolled down and he licked some of it (advantage) and was salivating for a couple of minutes but was fine. Its not great but its shouldnt harm him.

ashleynicole

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yeah, she was fine just seemed a little tired, then she licked it again! I clapped my hands and told her no, and she freaked out a little and started foaming/drooling just a tiny bit. So i picked her up and held her, gave her some water in a syringe, and tried to wipe the rest of the stuff off. Poor baby is a little scared but just won't learn her lesson!

deb25

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Joey licked it the first time I ever put it on him. He really must have hated the taste, because when I crack a tube of Advantage, he heads for the hills.

vanillasugar

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
The only time you need to really worry about this is when it's not one of the products you get at the vets office. The store bought products are made with a different chemical and can poison your cat. Just to caution anyone who may read this. (Especially the XXXX products
, but others aren't much better).

ashleynicole

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well, its the next day and shes fine! After that last time when she foamed a little, I think she finally figured out it wasn't a good idea to lick it again. (I had wiped most of it off by this time anyways). And she drank a ton of water overnight too, so shes doing good! Thanks to everyone who replied, it always helps to have reassurance of other "cat people" when I'm worried about my girl!

courtney_ou

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
my cat likes the taste of advantage; i have to sneak it on her while she sleeps or she tries to lick it off. (she can lick the entire back of her head--the vet was amazed lol)

stacey feitz

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My cat Tassy moved her head and ended up getting some on her face and mouth. I quickly got her cornered in the bathroom and washed her face and mouth several times with a wet wash cloth. This seemed to have helped. I also refreshed her water and gave her a little  milk to  either calm her stomach or cause her to vomit it up. She loves cat milk.

Now its about an hour later & she  is laying in one of her favorite spots. So far no vomiting and no more foaming. I will see by tomorrow I guess. 

My cat Sammy just has to see the syringe in my hand or my and behind my back and he runs and hides. He has never gotten it in his mouth so I am not sure what he hates about it. 

lauraann864

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Has anyone used first sheild? My lilo just licked some and when I searched in on google the results scared me :(

smegan5

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise

Hi! This just happened to my cat!!! i’m super nervous. Should I wipe off the rest of the medicine?!?