Oh No! Feas on my new kittens

dawnt91

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Muffy's babies were born last Saturday, that makes them 4 days old, and I just saw a flea on one of them!!! I don't know where it came from since Muffy doesn't have fleas and I don't have any other indoor animals. Of course I couldn't catch the little bugger either. Any ideas of what to do? I can't imagine how to get rid of fleas on 4 day old kittens! Help!!

Dawn

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

dawnt91

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Just talked to the vet, and they recommend giving Muffy a does of Advantage. They said the kittens will pick up some of it since it's a topical application but a small enough amount for it to be safe. I'll be on my way there as soon as the kids wake up from their nap.

Fleas are so frustrating! I've never, ever seen one on Muffy. I wonder if they came in from outside since it's so hot here now.

Dawn

hattkatts

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Fleas will jump on any warm blooded animal for their blood meal which is necessary for reproduction. As you just sent this post you fit the category of warm blooded mammal and in all likelihood they came in on you. Anytime there are pets or people going in and out you can bet there will be fleas inside unless the climate outside will not support them.

dawnt91

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I bet you're right Hattcats (did I spell that right?). We live in Texas, so I think the weather is always conducive to fleas. I just glad I saw that one so I could get treatment under control immediately. The last thing I want is for the little ones to get sick.

Dawn

hattkatts

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally posted by dawnt91
I bet you're right Hattcats (did I spell that right?). We live in Texas, so I think the weather is always conducive to fleas. I just glad I saw that one so I could get treatment under control immediately. The last thing I want is for the little ones to get sick.

Dawn
Hi Dawn,
Actually it's HattKatts, which is Norwegian for "cat's haven", a name we came up with when we got our first Norwegian Forest Cats. HattKatts is our cattery name and I use it for a screen name on some groups but my name is Pete, which I always add at the end of my post.
We live in Florida, so you have my sympathies when it comes to flea control; it's a year round battle!

Pete

dawnt91

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Sorry about the incorrect spelling. My attention to detail is not what it used to be.

I went to your site, and I love the LaPerm cats. What beautiful fur! And those curly wiskers are too cute. The LaPerm breed is relatively new, isn't it? I'm not as familar with the cat breeds as I am with dog breeds, but I don't remember hearing much about it. I'd love to hear about them!

Dawn

hattkatts

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally posted by dawnt91
Sorry about the incorrect spelling. My attention to detail is not what it used to be.

I went to your site, and I love the LaPerm cats. What beautiful fur! And those curly whiskers are too cute. The LaPerm breed is relatively new, isn't it? I'm not as familiar with the cat breeds as I am with dog breeds, but I don't remember hearing much about it. I'd love to hear about them!

Dawn
Hello Dawn,
Yes, the LaPerm is a relatively new breed having only been discovered in 1982. On the Rexcatz site where my website is you will find the breed history, which is rather long for a two finger typist like me to compose here. The URL for the breed history is http://www.rexcatz.fsnet.co.uk/laperm_breed_history.htm
The discovery date in the history is wrong and I need to change it as it lists it as 1962 rather than 1982. After you read the history I will be happy to answer any of your questions. You, or anyone else on this site, are also welcome to email me directly at [email protected].

Pete