Oh My God, I Almost Lost Both My Cats Just Now...

Nature9000

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I am in sheer panic and right now, though Prince and Nikita are fine. I was cleaning out their litter box which is right next to the front door, and I had opened the door just a crack to let in some fresh air...Well I stepped away for about five or ten minutes and forgot the door. On instinct I looked up and realized I couldn't see Prince and Nikita after a while and remembered the door.

I ran over there and opened the door, and Nikita was sitting on the deck just outside the door while Prince was laying on the second step. Thank god they don't know how to go down the stairs, but Nikita came right on in when she saw me and Prince stared at me for a second until I called his name and he came scurrying to me. But oh my god, I feel so horrible I am in a state of tears right now after holding them both.

Y'all know how paranoid I am about my cats ever going outside, they're strictly indoor cats and they've never been outside (which is probably why they didn't go down the stairs as well and seemed too nervous to go very far at all). I can only imagine if they went down those stairs and ran off or didn't come to me that they'd be lost forever.

will2002

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Everyone makes mistakes...not everyone gets a second chance. Don't beat yourself up, just be thankful things worked out as well as they did.

I seriously doubt you will ever forget about that door being left open again. You already have that little adventure behind you... and You, Prince, and Nikita are all better off for it. May you all have many happy, healthy years together.

PassifloraFoetida

Perpetual cat bed
Young Cat
Purraise
Oh goodness! How terrifying! I'm so glad they didn't manage to get very far before you realized. We all make mistakes like this one, especially when we're distracted or tired, so please don't blame yourself. For instance, recently after we had my boy neutered we had to separate him from the herd until his anesthesia wore off. He was less than thrilled and quite vocal about it which had the girls pretty upset when they couldn't get to him. My husband and I were both super sick and desperately needed a nap so we closed the girls in the living room and Zalo in the spare room (it only has a sliding door so we wanted to make sure there was a bit of extra separation between them), and we napped for a few hours. We woke up to a ton of meowing. It turns out that Zalo had managed to escape the spare room and one of the girls had gotten so distressed she'd pushed the window open (it has a latch that stops it at 3 inches) and managed to squeeze through the little gap and fall a story to the ground below. Thank god we're only on the second floor and our apartments are on top of a shopping center so there is a private promenade below us that she couldn't get out of. My heart about stopped when I looked out the window to figure out where the meowing was coming from and saw my own cat looking back up at me. She was unharmed other than a swollen cat-lip, and we got her to the vet right away to check up on her, but there was a short period of time there where I was so scared that we could have lost her. I was extra paranoid about the windows after that. She a sizable cat for her age, so we were really surprised she was able to squeeze out the way she did. Cats really are liquid.

Maria Bayote

Mama of 4 Cats, 4 Dogs , 2 Budgies & 2 Humans
Top Cat
Purraise
I understand your fear. My Bourbon slipped from us once when my husband forgot to close the door, and she was gone for an hour! I was bawling my eyes out, screaming at my husband (which also surprised me). I found her near the apartment an hour later, and hugged her so tight she looked at me with puzzled eyes. LOL.

Good thing that you acted also too quickly. They are safe now, so relax. I am touched by the way you obviously love your cats, and how responsible you are. Bless your heart.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Nature9000

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I'm grateful for everyone's responses, sorry I wasn't able to reply sooner. I'm on the second floor apartments too, I can only imagine what it must be like to have one of my cats fall like that, simply horrifying.

PassifloraFoetida

Perpetual cat bed
Young Cat
Purraise
I'm grateful for everyone's responses, sorry I wasn't able to reply sooner. I'm on the second floor apartments too, I can only imagine what it must be like to have one of my cats fall like that, simply horrifying.
It was pretty alarming at the time. We're so thankful she wasn't injured badly and that our apartment is so conveniently located.