Oh Dear, I Brought Him In...

kittypa

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don’t know what to do. This poor guy has been sitting out in the rain all night. I think Mama Kitty harassed him and drove him from the front porch where he has stayed since he showed up last summer. This pic is before the hard rain started.

B1193361-237C-4656-B85F-798AD603FE4F.jpeg

There are three outdoor strays and ferals. Osker here is a sweet stray. I built a shelter behind the house but he doesn’t use it. Feral Black Kitty hangs out there.

Anyways he’s in the bedroom now. My wife is probably going to be unhappy. And I have no idea how my four indoor pet kitties are going to react. I just couldn’t stand to see him out there any more.

Oh dear.

mama africa

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don’t know what to do. This poor guy has been sitting out in the rain all night. I think Mama Kitty harassed him and drove him from the front porch where he has stayed since he showed up last summer. This pic is before the hard rain started.

View attachment 265356
There are three outdoor strays and ferals. Osker here is a sweet stray. I built a shelter behind the house but he doesn’t use it. Feral Black Kitty hangs out there.

Anyways he’s in the bedroom now. My wife is probably going to be unhappy. And I have no idea how my four indoor pet kitties are going to react. I just couldn’t stand to see him out there any more.

Oh dear.
I expected this to happen :petcat:... sooner or later. I hope everything goes well.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

kittypa

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well, the weather is cleared up and he’s back outside for now. Eventually I will bring him in for good, but not just yet. My old girl Checkers (17) has kidney disease, severe hearing loss, and has seizures. I don’t want to upset her or overcrowd the house. He will be fine. I have tons of kitty shelter and furniture for the stray/feral crew. Maybe in the meantime he can come in occasionally to get to know everyone so when the time comes it will be easier.

mama africa

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well, the weather is cleared up and he’s back outside for now. Eventually I will bring him in for good, but not just yet. My old girl Checkers (17) has kidney disease, severe hearing loss, and has seizures. I don’t want to upset her or overcrowd the house. He will be fine. I have tons of kitty shelter and furniture for the stray/feral crew. Maybe in the meantime he can come in occasionally to get to know everyone so when the time comes it will be easier.
No need to rush, kittypa kittypa . Take it easy.

walli

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
good idea! I brought my Walli in a little too early
didn't help that I brought in a stray after bringing her in!!!
is there a shelter for him out there? maybe you can lure him in one some how
what part of the states are you in?

That's why I brought my Walli in-the rain!

kittychick

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Sorry to hear about Checkers....so much for the poor guy (and his human family!) to deal with. But I'm sure you're doing all you can. (I keep saying my next pet will be a Galapagos tortoise, since they live something like 90 years, and I'm almost out of tears, we've lost so many in the past 2 years). So I think you likely are doing the kind thing for Checkers - - upsetting the balance of his home is the last thing he (or you!) needs.

Oskar is gorgeous - and you mention he's a stray, not feral. So sounds like at some point - when the time's right for everyone, he'd be wonderful to have inside! For the moment - - he doesn't look starved or miserable, etc -- and if you can keep him warm, safe and dry in what sounds like several shelters! And if you are indeed in California, like it says in your info, he won't have to deal with the super cold and snowy and ice days that we in northeast Ohio do!!!!

I think you'll know when it's time to bring him in permanently - you seem to know him well. :) If your current guys will tolerate him coming in when the weather's extra nasty, that's great! We've always had to do slow intros - - and recommend them to anyone who adopts one of our fosters. But if they know him -bringing him in may be alot easier than it is in most situations (do you have a mud room or something that he can be brought into when it's really bad weather, but still be a little isolated from your current crew?).

Keep us posted!

Jcatbird

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Having followed your story, I know you have put a lot of effort into saving the kitties. You will know when everyone is ready. I know Checkers is feeling the love you give. Sounds like it’s better to do a gradual transition. Sending all good vibes to everyone there.:vibes::heartshape:

kittyluv387

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Having followed your story, I know you have put a lot of effort into saving the kitties. You will know when everyone is ready. I know Checkers is feeling the love you give. Sounds like it’s better to do a gradual transition. Sending all good vibes to everyone there.:vibes::heartshape:
Does he have a thread? I want to read about it!

kittypa

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
This is a Flea Possum Nightmare is his thread too and you should see the awesome shelter he built kittyluv387 kittyluv387 He has much posted. If you do a search on his ID you can find all. You really should see that amazing shelter! The pictures are great.
I did all that then he sits in the rain. :ohwell:

They also have nice beds on the big front porch.

kittyluv387

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
This is a Flea Possum Nightmare is his thread too and you should see the awesome shelter he built kittyluv387 kittyluv387 He has much posted. If you do a search on his ID you can find all. You really should see that amazing shelter! The pictures are great.
Time to do some stalking lol!

msaimee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Has he been neutered yet? If not, after the neuter and exam would be a good time to take him inside because he would need a day or two to recover inside. You could keep him in a room by himself. He may not want to go back outside after that.

I have an 18 year old cat who has various medical issues, which is why I won't bring inside the semi-feral who's living on my porch now, but that's because she's bossy and aggressive. If your stray is a friendly, passive sort, then in all likelihood your geriatric cat might not mind.

kittypa

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Has he been neutered yet? If not, after the neuter and exam would be a good time to take him inside because he would need a day or two to recover inside. You could keep him in a room by himself. He may not want to go back outside after that.

I have an 18 year old cat who has various medical issues, which is why I won't bring inside the semi-feral who's living on my porch now, but that's because she's bossy and aggressive. If your stray is a friendly, passive sort, then in all likelihood your geriatric cat might not mind.
He was neutered shortly after he showed up here. At that time he was tested for diseases, treated for fleas and worms, and vaccinated for rabies. I have spayed/neutered 6 cats here, all were tested and all were negative, so even after some months I would feel safe bringing him in.

When he first showed up he was a bit of a bully to the other cats, but since neutering he has settled down a lot. The one worry I have besides my old kitty is my young male Peko, but we’ll deal with that when the time comes.