Oh baby!

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by babyharley

With childbirth, NOTHING ever goes according to plan LOL!
Boy if that ain't the truth!
When I had Tressa and really not much went "right" I said that my first lesson in parenting was "expect the unexpected!" And it continues to be true!! (FYI...I didn't get to start nursing Tressa till she was almost 3 days old. I didn't even start pumping till she was well over 24 hours old. So if things get delayed; don't stress. And don't be afraid to bug your nurse and/or lactation consultant for help! Next go-round I will be doing that!

And feel free to burn a hole in any of our ears even by pm if you need to. Having a newborn is hard; but if it wasn't worth it people wouldn't have a second kid on purpose!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

emrldsky

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I appreciate it, I really do, lol. My mom and dad will be with us for about a week, and my in-laws will be staying with my husband's sister in town (I'm thankful for understanding in-laws, and the fact that they never even asked to stay at our home, lol). But it's still nice to know I can talk to those who have RECENTLY had babies,

I'm actually extremely fortunate to be BFing in this city. It's one of the only cities in our STATE that has an out-patient lactation center, so if I run into any problems, I have a resource, especially once I'm home. At the hospital, they're very pro BFing so shortly after she's born, a lactation consultant will come into the room to assess. When we did a tour, the director stated that 85% of mothers leave the hospital BFing.

I took a class on BFing too, seeing as it's been almost 30 years since my mom has done it, lol.

I'm actually starting to let go of the crankiness and embrace the excitement again. I did talk with my manager and she's agreed that taking vacation starting Monday, until the baby is born, is a good idea. THAT makes me feel a bit more in control, especially since I know that control is something I really won't have much of when I deliver, lol.

I'm also thankful that I'm employed where I am, because we have a paid parental leave policy now, in addition to FMLA. So instead of just getting 6 weeks, I requested 10, and all of it is paid. I'll probably return to work after 6 weeks, but I have a year to use the rest of my time for doctor's appts., etc.

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
ooo! that should be a big help! I know around here you can make an appt with the lactation consultants at the hospital after you've gone home. And they will call to check on you. But I honestly didn't have any desire to persue it really. The hospital is a good 30 minutes away, it was the middle of winter, and my recovery from the pre-e sure didn't help. I pumped for 5 weeks and supplamented. I do not regret my decision to do that because we were all happier once I did. But I want to try to start off better the next time. I do think the class helped me get the basics; but doing it was another thing and we didn't have much privacy or help in the NICU. To be fair; the entire maternity floors were hopping when we had her. Like the lullaby they play every time there is a birth was CONSTANTLY going off this one night! The maternity floor was actually full they told me! It was crazy!

I'm glad you worked things out with work too. That should be a BIG help to you! It's nice you have your leave too! I've never had a job with maternity leave. My first job out of college was the only one I've had that even offered sick time or health insurance! The last 2 employers were so small they didn't. Fortunately I've always had good coverage through my DH's job. DH and I joke how we were glad she was born after the 1st of the year becasuse we met our deductable for the entire year before January was even half over! LOL!

Good luck and keep us update!!

miss mew

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I'm glad that you are going to be off starting on Monday. Hopefully you get a day or 2 of R&R before she decides to come.

I think it's great that you are going to have the assistance of lactation consultants. Might be worth your while to have a look at this too http://www.lllusa.org/groups.php I'm not sure if they have a branch in your neck of the woods or not though.

I'm so thankful that here in Canada we get 1 year of paid mat leave. It was a God send after Ava was born
I think that no matter where you live it should be mandatory to get a minimum of 6 months at home...IMO

catlover19

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Miss Mew

I'm so thankful that here in Canada we get 1 year of paid mat leave.
Thats what I was going to say. I don't have any kids yet, but 6 weeks doesn't seem like nearly enough time off.

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I agree Tracy! And no 6 weeks is not enough. I remember thinking when Tressa was 6 weeks old that I was just beginning to feel human again....not necessarily civil! LOL!
But I know some people who are happier working. I think it's hard for everyone to leave their baby for the first time; no matter what the age is. But going from the exertion of delivering a baby to having to feed a baby every 2 hours (thats from the start of one feeding to the start of the next!) just adds to your exhaustion. I mean it's all worth it; but it's why I think the "standard" recovery period should be a little longer. But that's just my 2cents! LOL

zak&rocky

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Try not to worry too much about the BF post c-section thing. As soon as I got back in my room DS was brought to me and I had lots of help from the nurses. It didn't seem like too long. And try not to be induced if you can- maybe you are there having DD right now, but I was, but I think I was really destined to have C-section- big head baby, small hipped mama. I was getting a bit uncomfortable the last two weeks- DS was born two weeks overdue, I was induced and I am 5'2 and he was just over 8 lbs.

babyharley

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Miss Mew

I'm glad that you are going to be off starting on Monday. Hopefully you get a day or 2 of R&R before she decides to come.

I think it's great that you are going to have the assistance of lactation consultants. Might be worth your while to have a look at this too http://www.lllusa.org/groups.php I'm not sure if they have a branch in your neck of the woods or not though.

I'm so thankful that here in Canada we get 1 year of paid mat leave. It was a God send after Ava was born
I think that no matter where you live it should be mandatory to get a minimum of 6 months at home...IMO
I really wish that was the same here! After 6 weeks, I was just starting to feel normal and okay. I actually got laid off shortly after Landon was born, so I didn't find a job until after he was 6 months old, so that was easier
After 6 weeks, you're just starting to get used to the whole mommy/baby routine.

I'm so excited for you! I have serious baby fever so I keep checking this thread everyday looking for fun news

emrldsky

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Right now, I'm just thankful they haven't cut those benefits and I actually do get 6 weeks. :/ But like I said, in total, I get 10. After the initial 6, if I return to work, I get 4 weeks through the next year in which I can take protected PAID leave.

And so far...no labor signs. *sigh* It was SO BORING yesterday that it would really have made things better, lol. Oh well. I have another Dr. appt tomorrow so we'll see if I've progressed any further.

I did experience what I thought were contractions on Saturday night, but they stopped after about the 4th one (two hours) with nothing else all weekend.

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Aw! Maybe you should make yourself an appointment to get your hair done or a pedicure or something. Once she's here you'll miss the "me" time. Things definitely won't be boring then!

You just reminded me... I was laying in my hospital bed the day after Tressa was born and I got a call on my cell from my hairdressers reminding me of my appointment. I still to this day do not remember scheduling any appointment! But yeah I told them I wasn't going to be able to make it... LOL I really think they booked me by mistake! Wonder if someone else showed up! Ooops!

emrldsky

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by MoochNNoodles

Aw! Maybe you should make yourself an appointment to get your hair done or a pedicure or something. Once she's here you'll miss the "me" time. Things definitely won't be boring then!

You just reminded me... I was laying in my hospital bed the day after Tressa was born and I got a call on my cell from my hairdressers reminding me of my appointment. I still to this day do not remember scheduling any appointment! But yeah I told them I wasn't going to be able to make it... LOL I really think they booked me by mistake! Wonder if someone else showed up! Ooops!
A pedicure would be nice, but getting my hair done is out of the question until after she's here. lol I usually book my hair appointments about 8 wks in advance, since the girl I go to is their top colorist. Since I've been a client of hers for years, she just told me to call her the week I'll have time to go in and she'll fit me in. She did politely request that I not do that when I'm in labor,

So I think as far as my hair goes, I'll just wait until Amber is here, and go from there. But I do think a pedicure would be nice....wonder if DH would go for that, since he has to drive me, *snicker*.

cococat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

You just reminded me... I was laying in my hospital bed the day after Tressa was born and I got a call on my cell from my hairdressers reminding me of my appointment. I still to this day do not remember scheduling any appointment! But yeah I told them I wasn't going to be able to make it...
At work one client never showed up and when called they said they were in labor. I was like who answers their phone during labor. Talk about a woman who can multitask!

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by cococat

At work one client never showed up and when called they said they were in labor. I was like who answers their phone during labor. Talk about a woman who can multitask!
LOL!! Hope she had an epidural or something. People do crazy things! I was watching the show "One Born Every Minute" on Lifetime and this teenage girl actually updated her facebook status when she was getting ready to start pushing... I can tell you for certain I was not thinking of ANYTHING but pushing when I was in her shoes!!

emrldsky

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Ok so update. We had our 40wk check today and there is some progress. I am now 80% effaced and 2cm dilated.

However, my regular OB said that if I don't go into labor myself by next week, she wants to schedule a csection. Next week I will be a week past due (my due date is this Thursday). I asked about induction instead but she doesn't want to do that UNLESS I have progressed further at my next appt. which is Monday morning.

Been thinking about it all and my hope is to go into labor before then, but I am OK if I have to have the csection.

So, all that being said, I am in need of labor vibes, lol. Anytime between now and Monday would suit me just fine.

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Aw. Well I hope things go the way that is best for you and Amber in the end! Good luck getting that labor going! Are you trying any of the old-wive's tales yet?

emrldsky

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Aw. Well I hope things go the way that is best for you and Amber in the end! Good luck getting that labor going! Are you trying any of the old-wive's tales yet?
Not yet. Part of it is the fact that I am always sore in my legs/back so walking and other things are actually painful. Part of the reason I am now on vacation.

But if there isn't anything going on in the next couple of days, I might be willing to try things.

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Schedule the pedicure, and get hubby to agree to take you to dinner to a really nice restaurant that evening. That should put you into labor that day, if not the day before!
(And if not, you get a pedicure and dinner!
).

emrldsky

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Actually, we went out to dinner Saturday night, and I started having some contractions...but then they stopped by the time we went home. Maybe we need to go out again, lol.

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by emrldsky

Actually, we went out to dinner Saturday night, and I started having some contractions...but then they stopped by the time we went home. Maybe we need to go out again, lol.
Yes! And maybe go for a movie afterward!