Off to the ER this morning

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

posiepurrs

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
He is still in the hospital and now has developed swelling in his right leg again. He is actually having an ultrasound as I type to see if there is a clot. I can tell them with almost 100% certainty that there is. This has happened before and he has an IVC filter in that leg. I texted his transplant team because he has one medication he takes every 2 weeks and he was due when admitted. I gave them his med list and told them he was due (twice) and yesterday when I brought it up was told they won’t give it to him unless one of their doctors prescribed it. It is for anemia. Yet they have given him 2 transfusions for that very problem. Granted, he would probably have needed them, but why withhold medication to help? I have seen the doctor once, not counting the ER doctor, since he has been here.

posiepurrs

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Here is the latest. Pneumonia is still present, but better. They did another CT scan and discovered his sarcoidosis has become active again ( that caused the rise in calcium levels so he had hallucinations). He is back on prednisone to slow it down.Because of taking the prednisone, he is now having to take insulin again. Prednisone will cause your blood sugar level to rise. He is still in the local hospital, but is on a waiting list for transfer to the transplant hospital. If he gets well enough before transfer, he will be sent to a rehab facility. Yesterday when I saw him, he was much better mentally.

posiepurrs

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
He was sent to rehab last week. They called me this morning to tell me he was on his way to the ER. When I got there his blood pressure was dangerously low, high fever and very disoriented. When I spoke with him last night he was perfectly fine. We are still waiting for a diagnosis but I have a suspicion it is cytomegalovirus like he had once before.It isn’t unusual in transplant patients. I feel like I am on a roller coaster.

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
I'm sorry your husband is having a difficult time with his health. And I'm sorry you are going through this on top of Jack's seizures. Sending lots of hugs and special thoughts. :grouphug::vibes::vibes::vibes:

posiepurrs

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
He was negative for the cytomegalovirus at least. They determined he has a bacterial infection and started him on some heavy duty antibiotics. He came very close to dying yesterday, but by the time I came home at 8 last night, you would never know he had been so ill. I can’t believe how fast this happened. He was like he was before he got sick with the liver disease on Tuesday when I visited him. No symptoms at all. He was making plans for the future and just about 15-16 hours later he was near death.