Odds Of Short Or Long Haired Kittens?

Ragdoll06

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello,

So I have a purebred female ragdoll, and I have a purebred lynx siamese male.
I'd like to mate them in hopes they would produce a long haired lynx pattern, as well as my loved ones would love a kitten from them.
Afterwards I would spay/neuter.

I'm wondering what the odds are however of any of the kittens actually having the long hair gene.

I know this is a spay/neuter friendly website, I whole heartedly understand the unnecessary want to breed cats.

I'd love just some kind opinion's of what their potential off spring would bring if I decided to mate.

Thank you in advance

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
If he is purebred, he prob doenst carry the recessive longhair gene. If so, there wont be no longhaired kittens. In next generation, the grandchildren yes, but not the immediate children generation.

However, IF he carries the longhair gene - for example, in some associations outcross with Balinese are allowed, and thus, some registered as siames do carry longhair gene. It may be so in Fife, for example. And these genes may wander down quite far, several generation, before a combo occurs they become manifested in a longhair... So its not always enough to know exactly the looks of 4 generations backwards...

IF so, half will be longhair, half will be shorthaired carriers.

But the money bet is they will be shorthaired everyone, as the probablility of him carrying the longhair gene is pretty low.

Btw the hereditary is essentially as for the point gene. Which I guess you can by heart.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Ragdoll06

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
If he is purebred, he prob doenst carry the recessive longhair gene. If so, there wont be no longhaired kittens. In next generation, the grandchildren yes, but not the immediate children generation.

However, IF he carries the longhair gene - for example, in some associations outcross with Balinese are allowed, and thus, some registered as siames do carry longhair gene. It may be so in Fife, for example. And these genes may wander down quite far, several generation, before a combo occurs they become manifested in a longhair... So its not always enough to know exactly the looks of 4 generations backwards...

But the money bet is they will be shorthaired everyone, as the probablility of him carrying the longhair gene is pretty low.

Btw the hereditary is essentially as for the point gene. Which I guess you can by heart.
Thank you for clarifying that all with me :)

Ragdoll06

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise

Why would the grandchildren of the litters have long hair but not the immediate kittens?

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Because choldren would have the recessive longhair gene. All of them from momma. In next gen the matings will be between two carriers and the result 1 longhair 2 shorthair carriers 1 shorthair nom carrier. Of course talking inbreeding we coul breed back on momma - half longhair half shorthaired carriers...

Ragdoll06

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Because choldren would have the recessive longhair gene. All of them from momma. In next gen the matings will be between two carriers and the result 1 longhair 2 shorthair carriers 1 shorthair nom carrier. Of course talking inbreeding we coul breed back on momma - half longhair half shorthaired carriers...
Oh I see! Makes sense.. so as long as the other cat has a recessive long hair gene (even if they present short hair) then they can produce long haired kittens with a dominate long haired cat?
Do I have that right?

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Yes. But change the word dominate to manifest long haired or being a long haired.

Oh I see! Makes sense.. so as long as the other cat has a recessive long hair gene (even if they present short hair) then they can produce long haired kittens with a dominate long haired cat?
Do I have that right?
As said, same hereditary mechanism as with the point gene.

Ragdoll06

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Yes. But change the word dominate to manifest long haired or being a long haired.

As said, same hereditary mechanism as with the point gene.
Gotcha ! Thank you very much

talkingpeanut

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Just checking on a few details. Do you have breeding rights to these cats? Have they been given a full vet check up? How old are they?