Odd Smelling Urine And Raw Diet

Nessi

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I currently have 6 cats, all of which are fed a raw diet.

Two of the cats, (a male and female) both of which are about 5 years, have been raw fed since I adopted them at 8 weeks.

The two older cats (a male and female) are about to be 10, are siblings and have been on a raw diet for almost three years now (once my partner and I moved in together I slowly transitioned them over to raw).

The two youngest are foster kittens, one is 5 months and the other is 7 months, both male, and have been on a raw diet since about 5/6 weeks for the younger and 2-3 months for the the older.

The problem I've been having is strong smelling pee from the oldest two and now from the youngest two.

The older ones have always had strong smelling urine, and I thought switching to raw would fix this but it hasn't completely. It's normally a strong ammonia smell, but they've always checked out fine with the vet. I've tried giving them raw goats milk, which doesn't help with the smell, and a cranberry urine supplement from Only Natural Pet (which works in the initial period I give it to them and if I continue weekly maintenance doses). They mainly get chicken, but also pork, rabbit, quail and turkey bits as well.

The younger two foster kittens are now having smelly pee as well, but it's more sweet than ammonia smelling. I haven't had them neutered yet (I foster for a shelter that has no resources, so the fixing will be in my own dime, I was hoping to have them adopted a lot sooner and their family is required to neuter (they get their adoption fee refunded when they do)... so idk if this is an issue with unneuteres males? They eat the same diet as the four older cats.

I feed a Frankenprey model, with vitamin supplements that I add to the livers (cat vitamin powder from Only Natural Pet), and the occasional commercial frozen raw added in if I'm feeling too lazy to prepare food. All their treats are freeze dried raw treats, and they always have fresh water available (which I see the fosters and the male 10 year old drink... and the middle two occasionally take a sip).

Does anyone have any suggestions on what I can do? I'm hoping to bring in the fosters to get fixed in the next few weeks, and have the vet check them out again (they visited the vet when I first got them, and I keep putting it off because again, I've been trying to get them adopted but I've had them for so long I need to get them fully vetted so people will adopt them as older kittens... or if I end up foster failing them haha).

orange&white

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think the strong urine odor comes from the vitamin supplements. That's my guess anyway. Both my senior cat and my almost 7 month old kitten have fairly strong urine odor, even with sifting the boxes out daily. Plus, raw-fed cats just pee a lot more than cats on processed food. I really only notice it when I'm out of the house working and they have peed 2-3 times during the day.