Odd peeing problem

tbroox

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have a 16-yr-old, little black kitty named Michiko, who has never had an accident outside her litter box. Today, she was standing in the kitchen and all of a sudden, without any warning, she released a large puddle of urine. I have had cats all my life and I've never seen one do this before. Michiko didn't seem distressed, wasn't going into a pee crouch or anything like that. It just shot out as she stood there with a totally blank look. When she was done, she walked away and turned around to sniff it before I could clean up. There was no blood in the urine. She is, however, being treated with steroids for lymphoma, but this has been going on for a year, and the lymphoma symptoms have been limited to vomiting and diarrhea. (The steroids have worked very well to keep those symptoms under control.) The only other weird thing I've noticed of late is that she is losing a good bit of fur on her belly. Probably not related though. Sometimes I do wonder if she may have some dementia since she's pretty old, and would that affect her bathroom habits? Nothing in her environment has changed. Has anyone else seen their cat pee like this or have any ideas about what might cause it? It was just so odd.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. You probably should have her checked for a UTI just to be on the safe side. But, I would also worry that the lymphoma is somehow causing pressure on her bladder, and may even be tied to her licking her belly so much. I feel terrible for even suggesting something like this, given I am merely guessing. You might want to call the vet, tell them what happened - and about the licking - and ask if what I am suggesting with either a UTI or pressure on her bladder is possible.

The only time Feeby (15+ yo) has peed like that, away from her litter box, was when she had a UTI and she really wasn't showing any other signs to indicate that it was an infection. I just had a hunch despite the fact that with previous UTIs, she had never gone so far away from her box.

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

tbroox

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
FeebysOwner, thank you so much for the suggestion. Maybe she is feeling pressure down there and I will definitely bring it up when I take her to the vet. If it's a UTI, I sure hope I don't have to give her oral meds. She may be just 6 pounds, but she's a honey badger when it comes to meds!

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
There are antibiotic injections, but typically when a urinalysis is done a urine culture is also run on the urine to help identify the type of bacteria which then narrows down the most effective antibiotics for treatment. If it were to turn out to be an infection and require an antibiotic that doesn't normally come in injection form, you can ask the vet about getting it compounded differently (does cost more to do so).

Also, in the case of Feeby, I was able to take her antibiotic (liquid) and mix each dose with just enough canned tuna or chicken water to get her to lap it up without incident, and then gave her a piece of the tuna or chicken as a treat afterward.

Let us know if she continues to have 'peeing accidents', and what happens when you see/talk to the vet.