Odd lump

Usnphoenix

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi friends. I’m a little concerned about my boy. He had a bout of constipation earlier this week (since resolved...he is on a high fiber diet due to some digestive issues) and I noticed a small lump near his anus (graphic photo attached). The lump is soft like a blister, no discoloration. No scooting, licking, or biting. All behaviors normal. I was going to give it a week to see if it reduced in size before taking him to the vet (if it gets bigger or turns bloody or painful we will go to get right away). Can this be due to straining earlier in the week?

Attachments

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Usnphoenix

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Just an addendum. He is 14, not a kitten as noted above. He had a full senior blood panel With fecal test in March that came back clean.

Usnphoenix

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I’m hoping it’s something that simple! I wasn’t sure if cats could get them. No blood in stool that I can see, but maybe I missed it when I scooped the first day he was a little backed up.

jefferd18

Ms. Jeff's Legacy
Top Cat
Purraise
They can get anal gland abscess when they have gone through a bout of constipation. They don't always scoot when they get one. You do want to see a vet as soon as you can because you don't want it to develop into a full blown infection.

Usnphoenix

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I thought that too but his lump is at the 6 o’clock position. I know the glands are at the 4 o’clock and 8 o’clock position, can an abscess show up directly below and not in the gland position? I am keeping a close eye and if it looks worse he is going to the emergency vet this weekend. He hates vets and has to be drugged To not completely freak out so I didn’t want to jump the gun if it’s something that will resolve on it’s own in a few days. I am grateful for suggestions though!

jefferd18

Ms. Jeff's Legacy
Top Cat
Purraise
I thought that too but his lump is at the 6 o’clock position. I know the glands are at the 4 o’clock and 8 o’clock position, can an abscess show up directly below and not in the gland position? I am keeping a close eye and if it looks worse he is going to the emergency vet this weekend. He hates vets and has to be drugged To not completely freak out so I didn’t want to jump the gun if it’s something that will resolve on it’s own in a few days. I am grateful for suggestions though!

If it is an abscess it will have to be drained by a vet because it is in an area where your cat can't reach it. It does not have to be right up on the anal gland.