Odd Litter Box Behavior

andys1988

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My four-year-old male cat jumped into the litter box a couple of weeks ago. He looked like he was peeing, but jumped out about a minute later without doing anything and not scratching the sides of the box like normal. I didn't think too much of it because he went back and did his business about an hour later. I noticed that he did the same thing last night and then again this morning. Both times, he went back in about a half-hour later and did his business like normal. He has a water fountain, eats wet food and only gets a few pieces of dried food at night for his teeth. Should I be worried? He did have some urinary issues when he was a kitten, but it never became a blockage. He's eating normally.

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
There could be a variety of reasons for his behavior. How often do you change the litter? How many litter boxes do you have and are there more than one cat in the household? Did you change the brand of litter? Did you move the placement of his litter box? Has anything else in your house or his environment changed? From what you wrote it sounds like everything else is normal but since you mentioned he had some urinary issues as a kitten I would definitely monitor him and if this behavior continues call you vet for their input.

This Article may have some helpful tips and advice for you:
How To Solve Litterbox Problems In Cats: The Ultimate Guide – TheCatSite Articles

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

andys1988

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
There could be a variety of reasons for his behavior. How often do you change the litter? How many litter boxes do you have and are there more than one cat in the household? Did you change the brand of litter? Did you move the placement of his litter box? Has anything else in your house or his environment changed? From what you wrote it sounds like everything else is normal but since you mentioned he had some urinary issues as a kitten I would definitely monitor him and if this behavior continues call you vet for their input.

This Article may have some helpful tips and advice for you:
How To Solve Litterbox Problems In Cats: The Ultimate Guide – TheCatSite Articles
Thanks so much! Nothing much has changed. We have another cat two years younger than him, but only one litter box since we live in a small apartment. He had been isolated in the bedroom with a different litter box a couple of times last month when our other cat came home from the vet (dental cleaning and check-up). They get terrible scent-blindness from the vet. The only thing that has changed recently is our Christmas decorations went up, but the first time this happened was well-before we put those up. I sent an email to the vet to see what he thinks. Thank you again!

cataholic07

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I would still add another litter box somewhere in the apartment. Even if it's in the bathroom or closet. Does the wet food have any fish in it perhaps? Has he used the litter box at all?

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
He may be developing UTI. Watch for more frequent nonproductive trips and even crying while trying to go. Try to increase his water intake, leave bowls around the house so he will be curious, check them out, and hopefully drink. There are urinary tract supplements available too for cats on Amazon and pet sites. If he starts crying, palpate (put fingers together straight out and press them fairly deep into his lower abdomen) and see if you can feel a firm large mass. If you do, get him to a vet right away, that could mean a blockage. if not, it usually means an infection. You might start feeling now to see what normal is.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

andys1988

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thanks, everyone! We just got back from the vet. We’re waiting on a urinalysis, but everything else seems normal. I also haven’t noticed any more nonproductive trips yet. But we’ll be watching him closely. Now, we just need him and his brother to get along again (bad scent blindness).