Odd Interactions Between Two Cats

smtaylor

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have an approximately 10 year old neutered male cat, Rochester. I got a roommate back around New Years with a 12 year old neutered male cat named Petey. We introduced them slowly and aside from some early hissing and growling they did okay.

Today, they will eat from the same bowl at the same time, cheek to cheek without a problem. I’ve even caught Rochester giving Petey a few licks on the face. They never cuddle or anything but they usually seem to coexist ok.

The issues come in the evening and morning. At first I was convinced Rochester was just trying to play but now I’m not sure. He will chase Petey around the apartment with his ears flat back and Petey will be clearly not into it due to his vocalizations. He bats at him and stalks him and Petey really seems upset. There are no other behavior issues to either of them so I still haven’t ruled out that my cat isn’t just inappropriately playful but if so...however do I get these two on the same page?

ArtNJ

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Its not uncommon for older cats to have one or two play - even hyperactive - sessions a day when, for a brief time, they act like a kitten, and for the session(s) to tend to be at a particular time. However, you are correct that ears back is normally a sign of fear or aggression, so hard to say. I think I've sometimes seen ears back when the crazies come out -- you know, hyperactivity bounce off the walls mode -- and maybe even during playful stalking (?) so my guess is still on play.

My first step would be to try and tire the aggressor out with play just before the usual trigger time. A lure toy like cat dancer is always good, and a laser pointer might be even better at getting the crazy to come out in an ok context. The tiring out strategy doesn't usually work, but with an older cat, just might.

Desertmouse

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Do you have any idea what breed/breeds your cat might be? From what I understand some breeds can be a bit more aggressive in their play and some simply need more of it. Do you play with your or both of the cats? If so when, how and at what time do you usually play? Have you ever been there when it starts? Is there something that always happens, such as the roommate cat getting to close to your cat when he is eating or using the litter box?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

smtaylor

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
A ArtNJ that sounds like Rochester. He gets the zoomies particularly after using the litter box and even a twitch from me where I happen to be sitting will set him off racing around. That's the only time he is particularly playful, and Petey is pretty much never playful.

I do play with him as much as I can, although it's hard to get him off his back. He is incredibly lazy when he doesn't have his once or twice daily moment of excitement. My bet is also playfulness, and Petey does have a LOT of sanctuaries he jumps to when he is upset at being chased, but I still wish I could help them both play together a bit more appropriately.

ArtNJ

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
smtaylor smtaylor since you understand your cat's zoomies are related to the litter box (haha cats are weird!), maybe we can exploit that? One of my two cats will *always* use the litter box *immediately* on seeing me start to scoop. Maybe you can trigger the zoomies by scooping, or something similar, when the quieter cat is in a safe room. Failing triggering it, maybe you can notice when the more active cat is using the box around the time of the day the zoomies come out and quickly get the other cat to the safe room. You can then use a laser pointer to get the zoomies safely and quickly put to bed and then let the quieter cat out.

I understand the desire to get them to play together, but at their age, I don't know that they will play together more even if their relationship improves. Relationship could easily improve over time if you can find a way to deal with the zoomies that excludes the quieter cat.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

smtaylor

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
That's a good idea, I'll try triggering him away from his brother. Thanks!