Odd eye girl

Suljas

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Due to coving 19, my local SPCA has only walk in by appt. I have made one with earliest next week.saw this girls age 1 in their available section. But she is odd eye mix. Is it true odd eye cats be deaf on one side? And other complications?

Attachments

nerovega

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Seems to be around the 30-40% mark that they are deaf. White with 2 blues is the most likely to be deaf or develop deafness.

lutece

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
She's a lovely girl! She definitely has Persian ancestry. Since she has such a short nose and deep copper eye color, I would guess that she may be a purebred Persian. With the right owner to care for her and keep that white coat clean and groomed, she will be an absolutely stunning cat.

All solid white cats have a chance of being deaf. Blue eyed whites have the highest chance of deafness, odd eyed whites have some chance of deafness, and green / gold / copper eyed whites have the least chance of deafness. However, deafness doesn't have much of an impact on being a happy house cat. As long as you are planning on keeping her indoors, I wouldn't worry about that.

The main consideration, I think, is whether you are prepared to care for a Persian cat, as they do require more grooming than other breeds. I'm guessing that her coat may be growing out from being clipped, and her natural coat is probably more long and full. You could either comb out that coat frequently to prevent mats (the frequency of combing would depend on her coat type, some mat more easily than others), or if you don't want to care for a full length Persian coat, you could also have her clipped by a groomer periodically.

Persians tend to have wonderful personalities, the ones I have known were extremely sweet, gentle and loving. I hope you are able to adopt and care for her :)

GoldyCat

Staff Member
Purraise
lutece lutece That's interesting. I knew blue-eyed whites might be deaf but I'd never heard that about odd-eyed cats.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Suljas

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hi. Am going down tomorrow to take a look at her at SPCA.
Hopefully all is well as the other cats which I wanted had been adopted out. Is there any things I should ask SPCA?
Will adopting an odd eye cat be an issue in future with health related matters?