Odd body/spatial awareness

Jem

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
So my cat Chester.....seems a little....I honestly don't know how to describe it.
He is perfectly healthy, and overall very smart. He's active and eats well, uses litter box without fail. When he plays, he's an excellent hunter/catcher and very agile.
Although he can jump he is most definitely a climber. He will miss jumping up on things as he seems to not jump high enough with his leap, but if he has traction, uses his legs to climb the rest of the way. I have read that this is normal, some cats just develop into being stronger climbers rather than jumpers.
But he has weird body awareness, it only shows when he's playing.
When a toy gets into a tight spot where he can't see it but knows where it is. He'll position him self to see the toy and then paw for it in a completely different place...it's like he has no idea where his leg is. He'll be laying on his back, face shoved into wherever the toy is, so he can see it and he's trying to paw at the toy way up in the air....not even in the direction of the toy. It's absolutely hilarious, but I do wonder if he might have some sort of issue.
He also seems to contort himself in the dumbest positions to accomplish a goal...rather than taking the most logical approach. Like one time, to get to the dripping water from the tub faucet. He climbed on the the edge of the tub, and half balanced himself on the faucet, contorted his head and chest upside down so he was face to face and up close with the faucet opening...rather than just sitting in front of the faucet and tilting his head up.

Like I said, he's seems smart and learns things fast....but sometimes I wonder if he's a bit....slow....

Anyone else have a dumb, smart cat? I've looked up different things and he doesn't fit any neurological problems because he doesn't display any other issues. He's been like this since we've adopted him, and has had vet checks. Any ideas?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Jem

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Eyes are fine, no tremors of the head, or weakness. Has excellent muscle tone, great energy, beautiful coat. Great temperament. Seriously, he's a wonderful specimen of a cat. Just........derpy?

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. Since his eyes have been checked out, as Furballsmom Furballsmom mentioned, he apparently just has his 'quirks'.
He also seems to contort himself in the dumbest positions to accomplish a goal...rather than taking the most logical approach. Like one time, to get to the dripping water from the tub faucet. He climbed on the the edge of the tub, and half balanced himself on the faucet, contorted his head and chest upside down so he was face to face and up close with the faucet opening...rather than just sitting in front of the faucet and tilting his head up.
Perhaps, in this case, he is very much smarter than other cats! He is ensuring that he isn't going to have to step in water to get his laps from the faucet. ;)

I know it is not the same, but for Gracie, she just couldn't seem to gauge the size/depth of items so that she would inevitably fall off the back of the couch or the edge of a bed. Hence her name!

The climbing I am pretty sure I have read a few other threads of cats preferring this mode over jumping - don't recall anyone finding out it meant much of anything other than their cat having his/her own 'style'.

Juniper_Junebug

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I have started thinking my kitty has poor spatial skills. She digs a hole in the litterbox and then poops right on top of the litter pile she's created. And when she tries to cover it, she digs in totally useless places far from the target and seems surprised when her poo remains uncovered.

She's good at pouncing but terrible at food puzzle toys. She even has a hard time with this food mat covered in little spikes-- more often than not she pushes the kibble in the wrong direction.

I used to think she was a little dull but I'm starting to think maybe she's just spatially challenged. Which tbf I am as well (I'm the kind of person who has to turn a map upside down to use it).

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Jem

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have started thinking my kitty has poor spatial skills. She digs a hole in the litterbox and then poops right on top of the litter pile she's created. And when she tries to cover it, she digs in totally useless places far from the target and seems surprised when her poo remains uncovered.
LOL!
One of my cats does this as well! It takes her forever to get out of the box because she digs and digs, turns and sniffs, and has to keep digging, over and over. She eventually gets it covered but seriously.....:doh: