October 2022 book of the month club - 3 year anniversary - Choose Your Own Book

gilmargl

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I hope it still counts for the October Book of the Month because I started and finished Elena Ferrante's novel - "The Lying Life of Adults" in September! It was certainly my kind of book and just had to be devoured quickly! I then picked up "Violeta" by Isabel Allende and raced through that as well also during the last few days of September. Her previous best seller "A Long Petal of the Sea" which I am now reading will at least be read during the month of October! 🤣

verna davies

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I hope it still counts for the October Book of the Month because I started and finished Elena Ferrante's novel - "The Lying Life of Adults" in September! It was certainly my kind of book and just had to be devoured quickly! I then picked up "Violeta" by Isabel Allende and raced through that as well also during the last few days of September. Her previous best seller "A Long Petal of the Sea" which I am now reading will at least be read during the month of October! 🤣
You are going to have a lot of writing to do on 22nd.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Well, my reading habits being what they are, I will read several books during the month of October, but all of them are in the Dune series, so whatever I decide to make October's Book will be by either Frank Herbert or Brian Herbert and Kevin J. Anderson.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I read fairly quickly, so most likely will read a few books between now and Oct 21st.

The one I'm currently reading is The Long Weekend by Gilly Macmillan.

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Since some of you have already finished books, or are close to finishing, we decided to post the questions today, so you can use them to write your book review, while the story is still fresh in your mind.

But don't post reviews yet. If we decide to move up the review time, we'll let you know.

Here are the questions. Answer as many as you like.

What book did you read?
Title / Author / Standalone or Part of a Series / Brief Synopsis

Why did you choose it?
Favourite author / A book you'd been wanting to read /
A book you wanted to re-read / A book recommended by another reader

Were you pleased with your choice?
Was it as good as you expected or a disappointment?
Was it a fast read or a challenge to get to the end?
Would you recommend it to other readers?
If part of a series, do you plan to read the next one?
If standalone, would you read another book by the author?

What was the format of the book?
Hardcover / Paperback / E-book / Audio Book

How did you acquire the book?
Already owned it / Bought new / Bought used / Borrowed from library

What did you think of choosing your own book to read this month?
Would you like to do this again, on occasion?
Or do you prefer to have the choice announced, and everyone read the same book?

Write a review of the book you read
If it hasn't already been covered by answering the above questions, feel free to write a more comprehensive review of the book you read.

nurseangel

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
What book did you read?

"The Saints of Swallow Hill" by Donna Everhart, which is a standalone book, not art of a series.

Why did you choose it?

I chose this book based on amazon reviews. I had never heard of the author or the book, but thouught it sounded interesting, since it is set in my home state.

I will answer more of the questions when I am along in the book. I think I am on page three. :lol:

Mamanyt1953

Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
You know, in the future, it might be a thought to post the questions in the first post of each month, along with the name of the book chosen. 'Cause sure as shooting, I'm going to have a heck of a time finding those questions at the end of the month! And if we have them in advance, we can be thinking about them as we read.

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
We've actually evolved away from having questions for regular book club months, therefore the questions posted above are specific for this month, since everyone is reading a different book. But if we ever go back to having questions again, that's a great idea to put them in the first post.

Mamanyt1953

Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I actually knew that, thinking about it. I kinda miss them. They gave me a way to organize my thoughts...and if you could peek into my mind, you'd know how badly I need that! it's like granny's attic got hit by a small tornado in there most of the time!

Mia6

Mother of one and numerous ferals
Top Cat
Purraise
I am well into The Godfather. It's a rerereread, ha for me!! I've read it many times but I am enjoying it more each time I read it.

denice denice I read that. Joseph Conrad? they did a good job with Apocalypse Now