October 2021 book of the month club - 2 year anniversary celebration

Boris Diamond

Cat Valet
Top Cat
Purraise
Good luck finding one you want to read. Are you looking for another sci-fi one?
I don't think I can find a sci-fi book I want to read. I'm thinking about reading a novel I read for an English class many years ago and liked. I have a copy, but I have not read it since then. The book is Winesburg, Ohio, by Sherwood Anderson. I think I was one of the only ones in that class who liked it. I wonder if I will still feel the same about it! I remember it as individual stories about town residents and the lives of quiet desperation they lead and the odd things they do in order to handle their desperation. I identified!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I'm thinking about reading a novel I read for an English class many years ago and liked. I have a copy, but I have not read it since then. The book is Winesburg, Ohio, by Sherwood Anderson. I think I was one of the only ones in that class who liked it. I wonder if I will still feel the same about it!
If you do read it, it will be interesting to see what you think of it now.

Speaking of books we read in school, I currently have the e-book for Flowers for Algernon.on hold at my library. It probably won't have the same effect on me now, as it did when I was young, but I still want to read it again.

“Remember the quiet wonders. The world has more need of them than it has for warriors.”
Really great quote.

Boris Diamond

Cat Valet
Top Cat
Purraise
Well, quite unexpectedly the sci-fi book I was originally considering has arrived at the library. I am really torn as to which to read. Code Blue - Emergency by James White or Winesburg, Ohio by Sherwood Anderson. I need to make a decision soon! Tempus fugit!

pearl99

Pearl, my labrador who loved cats. RIP.
Top Cat
Purraise
Have you decided which one yet?
I started "Housebroken." I'm about halfway through. It's a series of funny vignettes about messing everything up in life. (But not in a bad way, in kind of Murphy's Law ways.)
Then I also have "Endurance" from the library to read next.

Speaking of books we read in school, I currently have the e-book for Flowers for Algernon.on hold at my library. It probably won't have the same effect on me now, as it did when I was young, but I still want to read it again.
That book affected me too! I loved it. I still remember it from probably 50 years ago reading it. I never saw the movie "Charly" it was made into.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Darn...I've already finished "Moonheart." Can I do TWO books this month? PRETTY PLEASE? I'd love to do "Moonheart," AND "Spiritwalk," it sequel! I was actually thinking of "Spiritwalk" when I said it was my first de Lint book, but that was about 30 years ago, so I hope I'm forgiven about losing track of that!

However, for "Moonheart," by Charles de Lint

Tamson house is a most unusual house. Physically, it is enormous, encompassing a full block square in Ottawa, and resembling townhouses set kitty-cornered, side by side. Metaphysically, it is even odder. For Tamson House is strangely sentient, and it sits straddling more than one world. Within its walls, only people whose hearts are good are able to dwell. And its gardens, in the middle of the house, encompassed by it, are the home of Mysteries. But something evil stalks Tamson House, threatening not only the house itself, but all of those who dwell within it. James Tamson, the current owner (AKA "Jamie Tams") and his niece, Sara must call on reserves of strength and metaphysical power they never knew they had to keep Tamson House and themselves safe from the onslaught of the Great Evil and its minions. And although the price will be so very high, there is help to be had from the Native American Spirits of the land.

Boris Diamond

Cat Valet
Top Cat
Purraise
I thought Flowers for Algernon was great, but it's been a long time! The movie, Charley was OK.

I started Winesburg, Ohio, last night. I remember why I liked it. I think it might be a difficult read - I hope I can finish in time.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I've never seen the movie "Charly", but guessing, a) since it's a movie, and b) I know the story, it wouldn't be as powerful now, as reading the book was when I was in school. Just checked, and the movie is on Youtube. So after I eventually read the book, I'll have to watch the movie.

Still loads of time, Boris Diamond Boris Diamond , to read Winesburg, Ohio. Everyone can't be an over-achiever, like Mamanyt1953 Mamanyt1953 . :lol:

And, yes, Mamanyt1953 Mamanyt1953 , you can read 2 books, especially since the 2nd one is the sequel. And, regardless, it's 'Read Anything You Want" month, so as long as you're prepared to discuss it later in the month, all's good. :)

pearl99 pearl99 : you planning to read two, too?

I'm slowly getting into The Paris Dressmaker. It's not a page turner yet, but still lots of time to finish it.

pearl99

Pearl, my labrador who loved cats. RIP.
Top Cat
Purraise
I've never seen the movie "Charly", but guessing, a) since it's a movie, and b) I know the story, it wouldn't be as powerful now, as reading the book was when I was in school. Just checked, and the movie is on Youtube. So after I eventually read the book, I'll have to watch the movie.

Still loads of time, Boris Diamond Boris Diamond , to read Winesburg, Ohio. Everyone can't be an over-achiever, like Mamanyt1953 Mamanyt1953 . :lol:

And, yes, Mamanyt1953 Mamanyt1953 , you can read 2 books, especially since the 2nd one is the sequel. And, regardless, it's 'Read Anything You Want" month, so as long as you're prepared to discuss it later in the month, all's good. :)

pearl99 pearl99 : you planning to read two, too?

I'm slowly getting into The Paris Dressmaker. It's not a page turner yet, but still lots of time to finish it.
Probably will just get the one finished. But I’ll be starting the second, likely won’t finish. Plus I go on vacation on October 25th so will see when I finish the second.

Mamanyt1953

Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Two books it is, then, and I am now reading "Spiritwalk," the second of four in the Ottawa and the Valley" series. THIS is actually the first de Lint I ever read, and I'm going to quote the passage at the beginning of the book that hooked me on de Lint forever.

"In the heart of the house lay a garden.
In the heart of the garden stood a tree.
In the heart of the tree lived an old man who wore the shape of a red-haired boy with cracker-nut eyes that seemed as bright as salmon tails glinting up the water.
His was a riddling wisdom, older by far than the ancient oak that housed his body. The green sap was his blood, and leaves grew in his hair. In the winter, he slept. In the spring, the moon harped a windsong against his antler tines as the oak's boughs stretched its green buds awake. In the summer, the air was thick with the droning of bees and the scent of wildflowers that grew in stormy profusion where the fat brown bole became root.
And in the autumn, when the tree loosed its bounty to the ground below, there were hazelnuts lying in among the acorns.
The secrets of a Green Man."

Mamanyt1953

Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
“There were two forests for every one you entered. There was the one you walked in, the physical echo, and then there was the one that was connected to all the other forests, with no consideration of distance, or time.

The forest primeval, remembered through the collective memory of every tree in the same way that people remembered myth- through the collective subconscious that Jung mapped, the shared mythic resonance that lay buried in every human mind. Legend and myth, all tangled in an alphabet of trees remembered, not always with understanding, but with wonder. With awe.”

Mia6

Mother of one and numerous ferals
Top Cat
Purraise
“There were two forests for every one you entered. There was the one you walked in, the physical echo, and then there was the one that was connected to all the other forests, with no consideration of distance, or time.

The forest primeval, remembered through the collective memory of every tree in the same way that people remembered myth- through the collective subconscious that Jung mapped, the shared mythic resonance that lay buried in every human mind. Legend and myth, all tangled in an alphabet of trees remembered, not always with understanding, but with wonder. With awe.”
Where is that from, Bek? Beautiful