October 2021 book of the month club - 2 year anniversary celebration

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
1632486538983.png

One week from today is October 1st, and the start of our "read anything you want" Book Club month.
Can't wait to see what books everyone chooses to read.

Last edited:

pearl99

Pearl, my labrador who loved cats. RIP.
Top Cat
Purraise
After finishing "Frankenstein" I finally wandered over to see what book for October, and see we all get to choose! This will be fun to see books read and get ideas to add to my list of "want to read."
I don't know what I'll be starting- I read "The Rose Code" and Frankenstein this month and I have a stack on a table to choose from.

Mia6

Mother of one and numerous ferals
Top Cat
Purraise
May read The Lost Boys of Montauk, true story, So, This is Home by Janelle Brown, The Night She Disappeared by
Lisa Jewell, Peril but the hold is very long, Such a Quiet Place by Meghan Miranda, more to choose from...

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I'll be starting on Charles de Lint's "Moonheart" within the next couple of days. This is the book that started my decades-long love of all things de Lint. Reading "Moonheart" again will be almost like coming home. Expect quotes.

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I thought I had almost decided which book I was going to read, as I have the e-books for both The Woman in Cabin 10, and The Invisible Life of Addie Larue, borrowed from the library. And both are books I've been wanting to read. However, now I'm considering something totally different. Will have to do a search and see what other e-books are available to borrow.

Lari

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Okay, I thought about also reading the Addie LaRue book, but I figured out how to borrow ebooks from our library and remembered I'd always intended to read the Discworld series, and feel like I want to read something on the lighter and more humorous side, so I'm going to start with book 1, The Color of Magic by Sir Terry Pratchett for this month's book club.

Mamanyt1953

Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I'd always intended to read the Discworld series, and feel like I want to read something on the lighter and more humorous side,
OH, I hope you love him as much as I do! He's...something else.

I should finish up "Claws and Effect" no later than tomorrow, and will get started on "Moonheart!" I'm so looking forward to revisiting my old friends there!

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Still trying to choose a book. I think I'm leaning towards a WWII historical novel. But there's tons to choose from, so next decision will be deciding which one.

Lari

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm already to page 28 of my 180 page e-book. If I had known it would be so easy to get it set up with the library, I may have done it sooner, and I can easily handle my kindle while J's nursing/napping.

Mamanyt1953

Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I started "Moonheart" last night, and am about 130 pages in. I had forgotten how compelling I find it. De Lint actually devised a new augury system for the book, called Weirdin. It is 61 disks, each carved with a symbol on each side. They are used with a cloth imprinted with a design. They're somewhat like rune stones. I know de Lint was planning on producing them for sale. I need to contact him and ask if he ever did that.

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I'm going to read either "Endurance" about Ernest Shackleton or "Housebroken: Admissions of an Untidy Life."
Pretty different books!
Have you decided which one yet?

I have a sci-fi book on order from the library, but unfortunately, it will probably not be here in time for the book club. I'm still looking.
Good luck finding one you want to read. Are you looking for another sci-fi one?

I'm already to page 28 of my 180 page e-book.
You're flying along! At that rate, you'll be reading the entire series in October! How many books are there?

If I had known it would be so easy to get it set up with the library, I may have done it sooner, and I can easily handle my kindle while J's nursing/napping.
I love the convenience of ebooks, and borrowing from the library is free. So win-win.

Oh, Lari Lari : check and see if your library is affiliated with Hoopla. If it is, you can borrow books there, as well as movies, tv shows and cds. Hoopla - Participating Libraries

I started "Moonheart" last night, and am about 130 pages in.
You're flying along too.

I had forgotten how compelling I find it. De Lint actually devised a new augury system for the book, called Weirdin. It is 61 disks, each carved with a symbol on each side. They are used with a cloth imprinted with a design. They're somewhat like rune stones. I know de Lint was planning on producing them for sale. I need to contact him and ask if he ever did that.
"Weirdin" seems like a good name, as it sounds a bit weird. ;)

I haven't decided yet. I think I want to finish the book I'm reading now then make my decision.
It's hard, isn't it, when there's so many books to choose from.

Lari

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You're flying along! At that rate, you'll be reading the entire series in October! How many books are there?
41. And I can only take out 10 a month, so I don't think that'll happen that fast!

I love the convenience of ebooks, and borrowing from the library is free. So win-win.

Oh, Lari Lari Lari Lari : check and see if your library is affiliated with Hoopla. If it is, you can borrow books there, as well as movies, tv shows and cds. Hoopla - Participating Libraries
That's exactly how I did it! The library webpage said to download hoopla, it found my local library and I just put in the card number! It was so easy.