October 2020 Book of the Month Club - 1st Year Anniversary (Poll)

Vote for the book we should read in October 2020

• Biography – The House of Kennedy by James Patterson and Cynthia Fagen

Votes: 1 12.5%
  • Contemporary Romance – The Numbers Game by Danielle Steel

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Dystopian – 1984 by George Orwell

Votes: 2 25.0%
  • Historical – Heads You Win by Jeffrey Archer

Votes: 2 25.0%
  • Thriller – Killing Me Softly by Nikki French

Votes: 3 37.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise

pearl99

Pearl, my labrador who loved cats. RIP.
Top Cat
Purraise

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I will today :) been working at the County Election processing mail ballots and my niece is visiting so I will chime in today.
No rush. Whenever you have time. Just wanted to be sure you hadn't forgotten to post. :)

Grayson’s Mummy Julia

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Grayson’s Mummy Julia Grayson’s Mummy Julia : Just wondering if you're reading / finished the book, and if so, what you think of it?

pearl99 pearl99 : Don't forget to post your review.
So sorry guys, I didn’t end up starting killing me softly in the end. However I’ve already started where the crawdads sing which I love! I’m not the fastest reader so thought I’d get a head start. Don’t worry won’t post any spoilers but you guys are gonna love it and I can’t wait to discuss with you all❤❤

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
So sorry guys, I didn’t end up starting killing me softly in the end. However I’ve already started where the crawdads sing which I love! I’m not the fastest reader so thought I’d get a head start. Don’t worry won’t post any spoilers but you guys are gonna love it and I can’t wait to discuss with you all❤❤
No worries. See you in November. :redheartpump:

pearl99

Pearl, my labrador who loved cats. RIP.
Top Cat
Purraise
I did enjoy it, except for the *you know.* It was one I could put down till about the last 25% then I had to read into the night. I gave it 4 stars on Goodreads.

I couldn't in some ways see all this happening so fast with just a gaze-lock on the street, but then have had a supercharged chemistry thing happen in the past but I had a bit more level head about it and no it didn't lead to a nightmare like this. I guess it was a couple of months before A/A getting married, so a bit of time.
With all of Adam's mysteriousness and the magnetic attraction, his not being very forthcoming Alice was in this also to try to get deeper into his psyche, drawn to it- I felt she couldn't let it go, so driven by it. Though she did have doubts.
With Alice really wanting to find out about his past (jealously about the past girlfriends) and not letting Adam go in spite of the abuse she's really sucked in- doesn't see her friends, lets her job slide, she's not caring for or about herself, under a spell with him, etc. and I could feel the oppression.
That kind of thing does happen to women, and it doesn't feel completely unrealistic to me.
I did have the feeling Adam had killed the women. And that he continued the notes and...Sherpa.
I'm not surprised by Adam's suicide either. He's sooo controlling plus a seeming hero and has to be in control. With all of his crimes out he has no control any more, and this is the last act of control.
All in all a good psychological thriller.

Mia6

Mother of one and numerous ferals
Top Cat
Purraise
The one little thing that bothered me was when Alice began to neglect her appearance. Losing weight,
not wearing make-up, hair a mess. Yet she seemed to still perform well at work.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
The one little thing that bothered me was when Alice began to neglect her appearance. Losing weight,
not wearing make-up, hair a mess. Yet she seemed to still perform well at work.
Given what Alice had said concerning her "work," she wasn't really performing in the first place. It was one of those jobs where she "performed" simply by being there and nodding her head! WHY OH WHY did I never have a job like that???

Mia6

Top Cat
Purraise
I thought it was super weird that Alice's old circle of friends invited her AND Adam to a birthday party but maybe it was their way of checking up on him and her.
Yeah, I thought that was strange but nice. I guess the crew was being mature but what would Jake be feeling during the party?
Alice and Adam hadn't been together very long. If I were Jake I wouldn't have gone.

Mia6

Top Cat
Purraise
So, I couldn't get the DVD from library or Amazon. The only media it was in was VHS form for $25.00
I think it said something about copyright, blah, blah. So eBay.had it for 3 bucks, free shipping. I must've
watched it on Showtime or something. They did mention the VHS was unrated, tee, hee

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Well, I think I'm going to watch it today. Cold and snowy today, perfect movie day after I have a nap.
Did you watch it?

Looks like I may get to watch it too, as I was scrolling through the movies on Hoopla last night, and to my surprise came across Killing Me Softly. It's only there till January, so thinking I might plan to watch it New Year's Eve.
Hoopla link: Killing Me Softly 2003

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I know you said it's different from the book, but looking forward (I think) to watching it.

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Watched the movie last night. Even though I knew it was different from the book I was still surprised at how much different it was. And, imo, not different in a good way. At least the book made sense, whereas parts of the movie, did not. I'll post my spoiler thoughts in a spoiler tag, however, I will say that though a cat does appear in the movie, I'm happy to say no harm was done to it, nor implied.

Rarely are movies better than the book they are based on, and this one was no exception. Of course having to fit the story into a movie time length, meant things were changed. For example Alice found Adele's letters in a closet in the flat, not at Adam's family home. And the time from meeting Adam to leaving Jake was short. All fine, and still similar to the book.

But the biggest change was the characterization of Adam and Deborah. Deborah, in the film was not Adam's friend, but his sister! And she was the one sending the letters to Alice, not the sister of the missing woman, Adele.

AND ... Deborah and Adam had a muchtooclose sister/brother relationship when they were young, and so she was jealous of other women he got involved with, and killed Adele and tried to kill Alice, but Adam saves her. Deborah then tries to kill Adam, and Alice shoots and kills her with a flare gun.

So totally different ending.

However, I think, Adam still killed his girlfriend in the climbing accident. However, not sure. That part was confusing.

Oh, he didn't kill himself either.

Alice left him though. And the movie ended, 2 years later, with them passing each other on an escalator.

The book made way more sense and was easier to follow than the movie. Not sure if it would have made it better, but I think the screenplay should have followed the movie more closely.

Anyway, guess I'm glad I watched it, as I was curious to see how the characters would be portrayed. Definitely glad I didn't spend money on it though.