October 2020 Book of the Month Club - 1st Year Anniversary (Poll)

Vote for the book we should read in October 2020

• Biography – The House of Kennedy by James Patterson and Cynthia Fagen

Votes: 1 12.5%
  • Contemporary Romance – The Numbers Game by Danielle Steel

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Dystopian – 1984 by George Orwell

Votes: 2 25.0%
  • Historical – Heads You Win by Jeffrey Archer

Votes: 2 25.0%
  • Thriller – Killing Me Softly by Nikki French

Votes: 3 37.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Mia6

Mother of one and numerous ferals
Top Cat
Purraise
How do you like it so far? Any guesses on the ending?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Finally started this book last night. Though I read the book description back when I started the thread, I haven't read it since, so I don't know what to expect. I read the first 4 chapters last night, and
though I'm not impressed with Alice for cheating on her boyfriend with this complete stranger, I am curious to see where this whole affair leads, and how we get to the part of the book described in the introduction, with Adam (I presume) literally freezing to death on an icy mountain peak..

Didn't read your spoiler, btw, Mia6 Mia6 , as I didn't want to get spoiled about something I haven't read yet.

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Read 4 more chapters last night. How's everyone else doing?

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Finished it last night. JEEZ LOUISE! That one took me around the side, through the woods, and onto an unfamiliar highway! She did a beautiful job of implying what some writers would have spelled out. I applaud that. It might even have made the subject matter more powerful...those implications and glimpses without being slapped in the face.

But...the CAT!

Mia6

Top Cat
Purraise
Finished it last night. JEEZ LOUISE! That one took me around the side, through the woods, and onto an unfamiliar highway! She did a beautiful job of implying what some writers would have spelled out. I applaud that. It might even have made the subject matter more powerful...those implications and glimpses without being slapped in the face.

But...the CAT!
yeah, I always skip over that part.

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
You guys are worrying me with the cat comments. If someone does something to Sherpa it better be on the last page, or I may not make it to the end of the book. Cruelty to any animal, but especially cats, is not something I want to read.

Currently about to start chapter 19, btw.

Last edited:

Mia6

Top Cat
Purraise
You guys are worrying me with the cat comments. If someone does something to Sherpa it better be on the last page, or I may not make it to the end of the book. Cruelty to any animal, but especially cats, is not something I want to read.

Currently about to start chapter 19, btw.
Rubes, I'm sorry. I forgot about Sherpa because after I read the book first time I've always skipped
past that part. In my trade paperback it's in Chapter 27. We the reader are not there when it takes
place. Alice arrives home and finds a brown envelope that reads HARD DAY ADAM? TAKE A BATH

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Mia: thanks for letting me know what I have to watch for, to know where I need to skip to the next chapter. I'm glad you guys mentioned it, so I know something bad is coming, and now I know how to avoid reading it. I guess after the milk incident, it's not surprising that something worse will happen.

misty8723

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have never ever understood why it seems a stock plot manipulation to kill off an animal. I prefer to not read books with animals for that very reason. But I appreciate the heads up. Not that I would be likely to read that book anyway...not my genre.

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I read up to the end of chapter 24 last night. After the next 2 chapters, I'll be tiptoeing carefully, watching for Mia's warning, so I can skip ahead. :sigh:

Mia6

Top Cat
Purraise
Nicci French has a series; the Frieda Klein books. She is a psychologist, I think, and the series is good, very suspenseful.

gilmargl

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Nicci French has a series; the Frieda Klein books. She is a psychologist, I think, and the series is good, very suspenseful.
I read every book in that series. Very well written and clever, though by the end I was rather tired of Frieda Klein, the psychotherapist.
"Killing Me Softly" is not my favorite Nicci French novel - it is far too close to real life for comfort. The authors definitely get their characters right - no plastic robots here - real men and women. Can't get anything else done till I've finished reading a Nicci French novel so it's best not to start a new one. :)

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Depends on the book, sort of, but I tend to like fantasy, SciFi, and Historical. I don't care for mystery or crime, but those seem very popular. Also not a fan of horror.
Do keep watching our book club threads each month, and hopefully we'll eventually have one that will interest you.