Obsessed with clawing everything

lorie williams

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi - I have 8 cats and they all are well taken care, vetted and loved and all rescues. The last two I adopted are now 10 months old - both boys. One has been real good about using all the scratching posts and rarely scratches on anything else - the other is another story! Jimmy seems to be a little behind in development from his littermate brother - he is terror with scratching and I am reaching out for more assistance. We have nice scratching items throughout the house. I taken him from whatever he is scratching at the time and place him by a scratching post and he will immediately use that - then goes right to something else to scratch! He has literally peeled off 3-4 feet of wallpaper in the bathroom, and the curtains are trash. I accidentially closed him in a room and he tore up the carpet by the door. He is working on the oak paneling in several places. I am at my wits end on how to stop this. His brother used to be slightly like this, but now uses the scratchers pretty regular. Any suggestions?

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
Make sure that you have both horizontal and vertical scratching posts or pads of the material he prefers, including wood and rub catnip into each every day. The posts should be tall enough that he can stretch out his full length to scratch. I would also set out a large cardboard box which he can scratch and tear apart since sometimes scratching is sort of a stress reliever. I would also trim both cats claws regularly and keep the door to the bathroom closed.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

lorie williams

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I will pick up a few more posts - and I usually have a box out for them too, along with the automatic laser toy, tunnels, cubes etc. There is no lack of toys here. I cannot close the bathroom door, or any doors - he will tear the carpets up to get into any room. I am 63, and have cats for years - 8 adopted rescues now. I thought I had experienced it all but he is a dilema - he is the sweetest guy otherwise, he loves the other cats and there is never any fighting amongst any of them - he is especially attached to my husband. I am going to attempt the trimming too and see if that helps. Thank you!